View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Vote - come and vote 

Vote - come and vote
Bush 11%  11%  [ 11 ]
Kerry 70%  70%  [ 69 ]
Third Party 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 99

Vote - come and vote 
Phlegethos

Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:35 am
Profile YIM
Phlegethos

"war is a last resorte not a goal"
that says it all for me....

Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:36 am
Profile YIM
Malbolge

this is not to say that I'm Pro-Kerry, because in a better America, Howard Dean would be the Democratic ticket...but my Anti-Bush-ism overpowers everyother voting instinct in my body, so there ya go!

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

i have no choice, being canadian, but if i was there, i'd happily choose "no party."

but, that's never on the ballot =7

-Undecided

Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

i have no choice, being canadian, but if i was there, i'd happily choose "no party."

You always have the option of canceling your vote if you don't believe in any of the running parties. I wish more people would do that instead of choosing not to participate in the elections at all.

-Glandith

Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

Undecided wrote:

You always have the option of canceling your vote if you don't believe in any of the running parties. I wish more people would do that instead of choosing not to participate in the elections at all.

-Glandith

Whats the difference between cancelling your vote to not voting at all? It still means that you are not in anyway reflecting the outcome of the election.

Mes

Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:50 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Malbolge

Whats the difference between cancelling your vote to not voting at all? It still means that you are not in anyway reflecting the outcome of the election.

Mes

By cancelling your vote, you are expressing your displeasure regarding the options being offered to you. I can't see any other reason for canceling. Imagine waking up the next morning to find that 50% of the population decided to cancel their vote? That would give the government something to think about, no? Just take a look at the "How goth are you?" thread. The majority voted null, cancelling their vote. The thread is now closed.

-Glandith

Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Cania

I null voted in this thread because I wished to see the results and it's not my place to put down a candidate because I'm not in the US

Look to your moistened orrifice in holy rememberence, in hungered bliss

Foccacia Martyr

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

I would vote kerry because I'm anti-bush, and because the third party isn't going to win. So instead of hampering the possibility of bush losing, I'd rather enhance it.

But lo, I am 15, so no voting for me. Maybe I can sway my parents votes...

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

Mesmerise wrote:

Mes

By cancelling your vote, you are expressing your displeasure regarding the options being offered to you. I can't see any other reason for canceling. Imagine waking up the next morning to find that 50% of the population decided to cancel their vote? That would give the government something to think about, no? Just take a look at the "How goth are you?" thread. The majority voted null, cancelling their vote. The thread is now closed.

-Glandith

But it wouldn't do anything. They aren't going to change anything someone will still win. Regardless what you do with your vote. Wouldn't it be better to find a candidate you do want and get them on the ballot which then makes your vote worthwhile?

Mes

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:05 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Malbolge

But it wouldn't do anything. They aren't going to change anything someone will still win. Regardless what you do with your vote. Wouldn't it be better to find a candidate you do want and get them on the ballot which then makes your vote worthwhile?

Mes

But what if there is no suitable candidate? What if they all have goals you don't believe in? Why vote for someone you don't fully support? There could be many reasons why someone doesn't vote: lazyness, indifference, inconvenience, etc. But if you cancel your vote, you're sending only one message across: you aren't happy. Sure there will still be a winner, but it might get them thinking and realize that somewhere, something's wrong.

-Glandith

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

it's as mesmerize said: Doing something like ruining a ballot doesnt really change anything. If over half the people voting all decided to choose no parties, or wrote on their ballot: "No thank you, we dont want a State," would the state just say "ah, democracy rules!" and dismantle itself? it could be that 99 percent of the people decide to ruin their vote or do what i just mentioned, but the 1 percent remaining which voted for a party would get their party in =7

but, for the record... the last canadian election (which wasnt long ago), i did choose to ruin my ballot (and they made it hard, too - we had pencils, and almost the whole ballot was *black* except for the squares beside the party names, so even if you wanted to be specific with *why* you decided to ruin your ballot, you had almost no space to do it in... all i could do was put "no" in every box).

however, mesmerize, just one point: There are those of us who dont want any parties or whatnot in, so trying to look for a party which really speaks to us is a moot point. For such people, the ballot becomes nearly useless, and even if a candidate was choosen (due to reasons of *desperately* wanting another candidate/party to lose, because you think they're just that harmful), such a person would still feel like their vote wasnt particularly worthwhile anyway. If a fellow forced me to choose to shoot either one person, or two people, well... you'd have to choose the one, and while it might be the better action in that limited scenario, you wouldnt feel like you've really done something worthwhile. =(

-Undecided

Edited By Undecided on 1090994482

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

but, for the record... the last canadian election (which wasnt long ago), i did choose to ruin my ballot (and they made it hard, too - we had pencils, and almost the whole ballot was *black* except for the squares beside the party names, so even if you wanted to be specific with *why* you decided to ruin your ballot, you had almost no space to do it in... all i could do was put "no" in every box).

Why'd you waste your time going to vote then? You didn't prove anything by doing that because your ballot was most likely discarded straight away. Not showing up at all would have given the exact same result.

-Glandith

Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Dis

I'm european (italian) and here we don't use to write why we didn't want to vote if we want to express that there isn't anything we'd want to vote for. If you want to give that message you just leave the ballot as it is and give it as if you had voted. They are then called "white" ballots; I never was outside of Europe, but I've travelled much in my little continent, and I'm sure they use to do like this also in most other european countries. In Italy "white" ballots are like 1-3%, it would really interest me how many there are in the US.

Regarding if it is useful to choose nothing, I think it really is. Maybe not in the practical sense: we'll never see anything changed because many ballots were "white", though it's the only method to give a sign. It's also the only method to make other people who think like you know how many there are that think there is something that has to be radically changed. It's surely not a solution, but it's a good point to start from.

Edited By staticSound on 1091004730

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:48 am
Phlegethos

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:40 am
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next