View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:56 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Munsters reboot : Mockingbird Lane 
Administrator

Post Munsters reboot : Mockingbird Lane
Link
So far Eddie Izzard is cast as Grandpa Munster, and Bryan Singer will direct and they've described it as aesthetically similar to "Pushing Daisies".
So far, this all sounds very good to me! :)

David Bowie - All the Madmen
lastfm

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

Post Re: Munsters reboot : Mockingbird Lane
Hmmm, sounds like it's gonna be very interesting!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm
Maladomini

It really can't be worse than the original.

Goth name: Calhoun Dreamyr

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:40 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

I'll watch anything with Eddie Izzard in it. :D Grandpa, lol. I also adored Al Lewis (both on teevee and in person at his NYC restaurant).

-- Nephele

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 am
Maladomini

Nephele wrote:
I'll watch anything with Eddie Izzard in it. :D Grandpa, lol. I also adored Al Lewis (both on teevee and in person at his NYC restaurant).

-- Nephele

Al Lewis made the original series watchable. His is the only character that's still as funny, if not funnier now than when The Munsters originally aired in the early 1960s.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

FairyInBoots wrote:
Nephele wrote:

-- Nephele

Al Lewis made the original series watchable. His is the only character that's still as funny, if not funnier now than when The Munsters originally aired in the early 1960s.

Absolutely agreed. I think Al was the only reason I watched The Munsters.

He was a great man, though now sadly passed away. I remember him holding court in the back of his restaurant, wearing a huge cowboy hat. He always made me laugh, and he always had something interesting to say. He was very involved in social issues and politics for the good of all, and he ran for governor of New York State one year on the Green Party ticket. He was a good and kind and ethical man. He cared about people. I'm starting to cry a little right now, thinking of him and knowing that he's gone. I really loved and admired that man.

-- Nephele

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 pm
Maladomini

Nephele wrote:
FairyInBoots wrote:
Nephele wrote:

-- Nephele

Absolutely agreed. I think Al was the only reason I watched The Munsters.

He was a great man, though now sadly passed away. I remember him holding court in the back of his restaurant, wearing a huge cowboy hat. He always made me laugh, and he always had something interesting to say. He was very involved in social issues and politics for the good of all, and he ran for governor of New York State one year on the Green Party ticket. He was a good and kind and ethical man. He cared about people. I'm starting to cry a little right now, thinking of him and knowing that he's gone. I really loved and admired that man.

-- Nephele

Oh, he sounds so awesome.

I feel terrible about jinxing him.

Seriously, at some point in the week before he died, and also Yvonne DeCarlo, Ron Ashton from The Stooges, Maila Nurmi, Anna-Nicole, Brigit Brat, most recently Amy Winehouse, and the one who started it all was Jeanne Louise Calment --I spoke very fondly and intensely of all of them for a few hours, and all seemingly at random did it occur to me to do so. I kill with kind thoughts. Beware.

Well, I kid somewhat. I guess more realistically I can simply sense death. It's hard not to feel responsible when a few days later they die.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Dis

Eddie Izzard as Grandpa? Heh, I wonder if Grandpa ever had a penchant for wearing women's clothing. :D

Tue May 22, 2012 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Cocky Canard

Its all well and good but could we have something a little more original here? Here I am, pushing against the tide of safe options. :P

Jereth Magas, Gothsylvania Minister of Unnatural Resources.

Thu May 24, 2012 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Maladomini

Letalis Senium wrote:
Its all well and good but could we have something a little more original here? Here I am, pushing against the tide of safe options. :P

To be fair, all art is derivative. If you consider Classical Mythology to be "fiction" (I don't, but you might*), then this sort of thing has been going on a very long time. I mean, just consider how many versions of the tale of Narkissos still exist, at least in reference or fragment, and the earliest known version barely resembles the popular Ovid-based version most people today are familiar with --Ovid's version might as well be fan-fic.

"Originality" in art is overrated, and demanding that all art be original would make for very little art in this world. I used to believe "the original is always better, the remake is crap", and I always made exceptions for things --like the Addams' Family film (at least the first two) and Cyndi Lauper's version of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", and then I learned more about art.

And anyway, like I said, a Munsters reboot just cannot possibly be any worse than the original series. I've explained before that The Munsters just doesn't stand the test of time, and by modern standards, just is seldom funny and relies on its kitschiness to sell DVD sets; even the slapstick and cartoonish elements of the intended humour are often very hackneyed because Fred Gwynne and Yvonne DeCarlo really didn't want to be on the show (in some scenes, this even shows for DeCarlo --in contrast, Gwynne at least tried his best, in spite of his displeasure with the role, but still often looked incredibly uncomfortable in his costume), the first actress to play Marilyn hated the role so much she married to get out of her contractual obligation with Universal (and yet a third actress played Marilyn in the film, Munster Go Home!), and the only member of the adult cast who remains unpainful, even enjoyable to watch, the only one who remains funny and clearly was enjoying the role, even if he knew it was a stupid show, was Al Lewis. There's plenty of room for improvement on The Munsters (just like with the original 1970s Battlestar Galactica --I know people who were five-year-old Star wars junkies when that show aired, and they thought it was stupid even at five, an age long before most people gain any taste in media), and a reboot really can't hurt the franchise's legacy --especially not if Eddie Izzard really is going to be a part of it.

*I also don't consider it to be literal truth

Sat May 26, 2012 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Cocky Canard

Derivative is fine. Its identical that I'm having a hard time digesting. This is not hard and fast, its just remake fatigue. Sigh.

Interesting point about Classical Mythology, in our times we separate fact and fiction whereas t may have been a lot more fluid in the past. I know my culture (not US) values the story rather that the veracity of the facts within it.

Sat May 26, 2012 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Manisha

It sounds interesting. Granted I know nothing about any of the actors (past or present), but i remember the original fondly so I'd be very likely to watch it. I'd probably watch it regardless, just because of the premise of it.

Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

Ah, thank goodness for TV Land, which exposed me to The Munsters and The Addams Family reruns when I was a child. :D Unfortunately, I'm too young to say that I remember when they were on TV originally. A remake of The Munsters sounds fantastic and I would definitely watch!

Papilio enim mortuum puella (butterfly for a dead girl)

Sat May 26, 2012 11:53 am
Maladomini

Letalis Senium wrote:
Derivative is fine. Its identical that I'm having a hard time digesting. This is not hard and fast, its just remake fatigue. Sigh.

The proposed show hardly looks identical. Here's another article:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/12/munst ... bird-lane/
Quote:
The script is such a dramatic departure from the tone and style of the original show. If we continued to call the show The Munsters, people are just going to to think we’re doing The Munsters. We’re doing a reinvention and re-imagination of this property. I love the Universal monsters. I love The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Invisible Man, The Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera, The Mummy. There’s so many great characters we can run through this metaphor of family storytelling that it just felt it was ripe to do as a one-hour dramedy. Having all those elements to play with, the toy box is really, really full.

We’re not doing bolts in the neck and Bela Lugosi. It’s almost the Real Housewives of Transylvania. These are a blinged-out representation of what monsters would be doing if they lived in our society today. How they would look, how they would interact. Our wardrobe is heavily influenced by Alexander McQueen and his use of animal textures. For instance, with [the vampire] Lily, all of her wardrobe comes from nature. The first time we see her this nest of spiders weaves her dress on her body as she’s standing there. We’ll see ravens come in and assemble her blouse out of their feathers. We won’t see animal skins because the animals are donating as opposed to dying for it. She has domain over nature and nature has a fantastic [aesthetic].

When you come to The Munsters and have Herman — who’s essentially a zombie in a constant state of decay — and he’s married to a woman who doesn’t age, there’s something very poignant there. These stories will surprise audiences.

It sounds like the ostensible creative head of this project is hoping to make it very different from the original. And it sounds pretty imaginative, to boot.

And films have been re-made for about as long as films have been made. Off the top of my head, I can think of two distinct silent versions of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910 and 1925, I believe), and an animated version made between the end of the silent era (1930) and the famous 1939 musical film starring Judy Garland. Remakes are not a recent phenomenon in film, not by a long shot. If it's a good remake that's as good or even better than the film or telly show that came before it, who cares? If it sucks, it would have sucked even if it was a completely original film --and there's certainly no shortage of crap original programming on television.

Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Cocky Canard

Real Housewives of Transylvania? :lol: :|

Sun May 27, 2012 5:56 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next