View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Search for:
 [ 2146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 144  Next
 Who's Reading What? 
Nessus

I recently finished Freda Warrington's THE OBSIDIAN TOWER, final part in a most excellent fantasy series which was well worth it. I always hate when I end a good book as I'd have loved to have stayed with these characters a lot longer, even if it had already been some 2100 pages over the 3 books. Here's looking forward to Freda's next book!

I'm currently reading Caitlín R. Kiernan's FROM WEIRD AND DISTANT SHORES. It's a small-press short story collection which collects all her short stories written for Other World anthologies, so some stuff written for White Wolf anthos and one written for a Sandman/Dreaming themed anthology. So far so excellent... of course.

The "To Read" stack contains a lot of books, as always. Next up will most likely be Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's GOOD OMENS. And there's also the first 3 Dame Darcy MEAT CAKE comics that I picked up on eBay... and about a zillion other things.

What's everyone else reading (if anything)?

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Stygia

I'm reading Sandman antholgy thing by Gaiman.

Just finished the first two Dark Matter books (Interesting series)

Finished two Magic: The Gathering books, as well. Hey, I like'em!

I pull my veins through my arms like severed wires, wrapping each memory around my neck to hang myself. i have numbed the will to follow you. i no longer care for you. i no longer long for you. your voice screaming in my head. i'm dying in the quiet secrets and the sickest bliss-WM3rock.com

Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:19 pm
Nessus

I'm reading Sandman antholgy thing by Gaiman.

SANDMAN: BOOK OF DREAMS? There's a story by Caitlín R. Kiernan in that incidentally, one that is reprinted in the FROM WEIRD AND DISTANT SHORES collection of hers I'm reading now.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Stygia

Yup, ya right on da money, Lilith. That's the next one I'm set to read :) (The short story :) )

I pull my veins through my arms like severed wires, wrapping each memory around my neck to hang myself. i have numbed the will to follow you. i no longer care for you. i no longer long for you. your voice screaming in my head. i'm dying in the quiet secrets and the sickest bliss-WM3rock.com

Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:56 am
Stygia

Next up will most likely be Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's GOOD OMENS.

"Good Omens" is a riot! If you haven't already read it, you'll love it.

I just finished reading The Forest by Edward Rutherford. In the style of his earlier works, Sarum and London, it follows several families (living in the New Forest of southern England) down through the ages. If you like historical fiction, his books are some of the best.

morrigan

Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

I particularly like his Watch sub(?)series in his discworld series
no one is cooler then commander Vimes :D

Deviant - read almost all of the series

"..And isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all of you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh oooh oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick

Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:58 am

i am currently reading a book called "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" by Gregory Maguire. Different slant on the cinderella legend.. Waiting on my nightstand is a collection of H.P. Lovecraft short stories! :)

Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.    H. P. Lovecraft

Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:51 pm
I just finished Jack the Ripper: The First American Serial Killer. It was a little dry but an interesting thesis. I just put down Tin Drum, haven't really gotten into it. Herodotus is on my nightstand.

- AX

Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:06 pm
Nessus

i am currently reading a book called "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" by Gregory Maguire. Different slant on the cinderella legend..

I've heard about that book, I believe Poppy Z. Brite really enjoyed that book along with some other people on another forum. There's also another 2 books in that 'series' about the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz (iirc) which I've heard is also quite good, and a Jack The Ripper one which the reviews were less favourable about.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Stygia

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312278233/102-1980336-4919315

Picked it up in a local bookstore. Reads quite fast, though the only interesting point about it so far is it's historical value: a lot of details of the ancient Egypt culture.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the subject to confirm the facts, but I'll take them for truth for now.

Pitr

Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Dis

A poll of sorts...

What's everyone else reading (if anything)?

Lilith

Hi,

New around here, so this seems as good a place as any to start. :)

Currently or recently read;

The Malady of Death by Marguerite Duras (for for 100th time)
The Immoralist by Andre Gide
The Children's Bach by Helen Garner
The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice (again)
Identity by Milan Kundera

A slightly different reading selection from the others I've read posted. *shrug* :)

Dans.

It is a love of death that sickens everything.
I lose life after life. The dark earth drinks them.

Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:49 pm
Nessus

New around here, so this seems as good a place as any to start. :)

A slightly different reading selection from the others I've read posted. *shrug* :)

Hi and welcome!

Well, I was interested in what people were reading, whatever it was.

I finally finished reading Caitlín R. Kiernan's FROM WEIRD AND DISTANT SHORES this afternoon and I'll put up a review in a seperate thread.

Lilith - next up, GOOD OMENS.

SarChasm  (n.)

Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Currently I'm making my way through Doctor Mirabilis by James Blish. I'm on a bit of an old science-fiction kick lately.

Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:15 am
Maladomini

After having kicked myself out of a literarily lazy phase i decided to finish off the book i had started a while ago, that is to say Silverheart my Michael Moorecock and Storm Constantine, having finished that i'm now reading a famous Phillip K Dick Novel (after having read two of his other books, Ubik and the Zap Gun ) from which Bladerunner was developped, "Do androids dream of electric sheep?". I'm also reading some of H.p. Lovecraft's short stories.

Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:06 am
Profile ICQ
Stygia

You know the movie "Someone Like You"? This is the novel that spawned it.

Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 144  Next