View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Scary stuff from your town 
Stygia

Location: Romania, Danube to my left, Carpathians to my right
Post Scary stuff from your town
I just got back from a saturday night out. I went to the bathroom and I saw myself in the mirror. I don't believe I've ever been so pale in my life.
I'll start with the beginning.
I live in a town called Tulcea located in the south-east of Romania. By day, it's a normal town with the characteristic monotony of a small town. By night however, thing can get interesting to say the least.
I went out with some friends, hanged out in the usual places, in a bar, then outside in between some office buildings and a high-school building. We drank, laughed and told some scary stories and facts. This evening was particularly scary. We get that from time to time. We were all really tensed and jumpy. The weather is incredibly warm for December. The rumbling of the wind was infernal and there was this mad, devilish laughter we heard a good portion of the time, while we were downtown. It was very likely coming from some junkies high on the latest research drugs.
Anyway, on our way home we past the old synagogue and an old discussion started.

Foreigners don't know, and a small portion of the young population in Romania is aware that our country has a vast "underworld". I'm talking about thousands of crypts, catacombs, medieval subterranean highways beneath the cities, all across the country, but more abundant in the eastern half of the country. Moreover, many entrances to these catacombs are located in basements of many old buildings and blocks of flats, and a couple of museums. So we actually past and present side by side. Years ago I read in the local news paper that they found another secret entrance in the Danube Delta museum to a chamber filled with furniture and objects dating from... maybe 1880, which had another entrance to a large underground highway dating from middle ages, going right beneath the Danube river. It is believed it was used to transport horse carriages filled with gold, food and weapons, during the wars with the Ottoman Empire. Additionally, they found a couple of torture chambers, torture devices and some human bones.
Another entrance is behind the above mentioned synagogue. We decided we were already scared enough so we climbed down some stairs to gaze and the now plugged entrance. A girl in our group said she remembers walking past this place years ago, and the was police a over there because some hobo hanged himself in the tunnel, or was hanged... So that's when they decided to close that tunnel. Apparently many gruesome murders happened in the solitude of these catacombs.

When I first heard all this , I was a bit skeptic, but many elders confirmed it.
And the scariest part is that in a nearby hill there is a subterranean river with a much bigger flow than the Danube. And when the walls cave in (from hundreds of years of erosion ) the town is fu**ed.

All this seems very interesting to me, and I wanted to share it with you.

Do you have any juicy horror or interesting stories from your town or city ?? :)

Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:11 pm
Stygia

Post Re: Scary stuff from your town
Maybe not scary per se, but, whenever I take the bus on the weekends, I always pass by a place called the Mysterious Place.

Why?

Because I have no idea what's inside. I never entered it, but from the outside, I can see palm trees, wooden huts, military style-forts (and cannons!), what looks like an abandoned theater, a water tower, and a fully-functional house. All in the same place.

There's even a graffitti that says "Do you know what's inside this place?", which just furthers the mystery.

I never asked what's in there, and I never will. Whatever I come up for the place is far more satisfying than any answer I may get.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:51 am
GAF

About a month or two ago my husband and I were driving around and saw this huge gargoyle statue on top of a building that we never saw before. We pass the building all the time, but either the gargoyle was never there or we never noticed this huge statue on top of this building for the past 4-5 years.

My husband said: "I've lived here all my life and have never seen that statue before! How did they get it up there with no one noticing?"

I said: "Maybe he just needed to stop for the day?"

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:23 am
Profile YIM
Stygia

Location: Romania, Danube to my left, Carpathians to my right
Wolfmammy wrote:
About a month or two ago my husband and I were driving around and saw this huge gargoyle statue on top of a building that we never saw before.

Wow, nice. Was it completely motionless ? :shock: (cause I think perhaps it was a living thing or something)

Gabriel Van Helsing wrote:
There's even a graffitti that says "Do you know what's inside this place?", which just furthers the mystery.

I never asked what's in there, and I never will. Whatever I come up for the place is far more satisfying than any answer I may get.

I agree, rational explanations are the most boring.
As for the graffiti, maybe it was placed by someone who also wanted to know what's inside and is demanding information . :P

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:47 am
Stygia

I know this is an old thread, but I only just saw it now. Sorry.

I grew up in a small village on a small island. The island is called Mors, which some of you may know is Latin for death. There is a reason this island is called Mors.
As the story goes, back in the day people were send here if they did something especially gruesome. Murder, rape, torturing children, things that were so out of line that you were no longer accepted in society.
In these cases, you would be send to Mors, the place where people went to die.
Or at least, that's how the story goes. It's what the old people always told us young ones.

We also have a ghost story from a castle near the town I grew up in:

There is a castle called Højriis, and it was owned by a wealthy aristocrat who had married a beatiful young girl. He owned the island, and was a very influential man. One day the aristocrat had to travel, and his young wife was left to her own devices.
Days became weeks and weeks became months, and she was lonely. But then she met a man who was not at all someone whom it was acceptable for her to be with, but showed her what it meant to love and be loved in return.
All was well for a while. He taught her how to read at their secret little spot in the forest, and they were deeply in love with each other, so much in fact that they planned to run away together and start a family of their own. Because no matter how poor they would become, they would have each other.
But one day her husband came back home again, only to find his young wife in the arms of another man. What was he to do? He couldn't get divorced (remember, this took place somewhere between 1400 and 1450), and he couldn't tell. He didn't want to bring shame to his family, and her family would not accept it either.
He decided that they both had to die. No one would ever have to know. He could just say that she ran away since that wouldn't he his fault, and really, who would miss the man? He was just a peasant.
He walled them in while they were still alive.
And for a long time, visitors of the castle said that they heard footsteps and a man and a woman sobbing and crying. People said that it felt wrong, somehow, to be in the room with the green tapestry. Some said that they saw a beautiful woman pacing back and forth between various rooms before vanishing into thin air.
People said that the castle was haunted, and no one liked to be there at night.

Run of the mill ghost story, right? A lot of castles have stories about a woman haunting the place, and the stories are always accompanied by some tragic event as described above.
What's interesting about this particular castle is that there really was two corpses in the wall. In 1827 there was a storm which caused part of the northern wall to cave in, and people discovered the skeletons of two people, sitting side by side along with a little box which contained jewellery. The jewellery were found to be that of a young woman who had been married to an owner of the castle, but had been thought to have run away.
And suddenly the old story wasn't just a scary story told to kids anymore. The young woman haven't been seen since they discovered the skeletons, and neither has the sounds and voices been heard, so I like to think that they have both found peace.

Tue May 01, 2012 2:09 pm
Nessus

I think you may be forgiven for necromancy with a story like that.

Tue May 01, 2012 3:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Stygia

I think this sort of fits in. Not really a ghost story, just that where I am in Hamilton there is a city bus, the route 9 rock gardens. It runs only during Sunday's or holidays? It carries souls from downtown to 3 of the biggest cemeteries in the region and back. It cruises around 2of the graveyards so that anyone can have a chance to jump off exactly where they like in the cemetary (flag stops not designated stops). It keeps doing this back and forth all day long. To and from the graveyards, it's only reason for being it seems.

To most people this would be a scary fact, to me though it seems like a gothic dream come true so I dunno.

The veil concealed my eyes while all within lay quiet as the dead

Tue May 01, 2012 7:12 pm
Stygia

Golomen Du wrote:
I think this sort of fits in. Not really a ghost story, just that where I am in Hamilton there is a city bus, the route 9 rock gardens. It runs only during Sunday's or holidays? It carries souls from downtown to 3 of the biggest cemeteries in the region and back. It cruises around 2of the graveyards so that anyone can have a chance to jump off exactly where they like in the cemetary (flag stops not designated stops). It keeps doing this back and forth all day long. To and from the graveyards, it's only reason for being it seems.

To most people this would be a scary fact, to me though it seems like a gothic dream come true so I dunno.

I'd love to take a ride on that bus, I love visiting cemetaries. Can't you find anything about it's function? It does sound a bit weird if there is a bus that's just there to take people to the various cemetaries.

Wed May 02, 2012 3:02 am
Avernus

In my town there was a witch who took here 7 kids to the river and drowned them then herself.

I have been to the grave yard where they are barried there is a 5 foot metal fence around them. I've also been to the river that they drowned in.

I felt the presence of the witch watching over me. They say she roams the river searching for her childrens souls but to no avail. Thier souls had passed on.

I still would like to go to the small wooden house that they lived in over 120 years ago.

Tue May 08, 2012 11:40 pm
Minauros

I grew up in Anderson, Indiana, and even to this day, I'm still convinced there must be a Hellmouth under that town. I used to do a lot of 'ghost hunting' in high school and a few years after, and love sharing and hearing stories of this nature. Sure, most turned out to be over active imaginations or old wives tales, but certainly not all.

Shadyside Park on the north end of town has a hell of a history. Rape, murder, suicides, bad drug deals, you name it, it happened there at least a few times. Going there at night, you feel eyes on you, and most of them don't feel friendly. On a few occasions, both myself and a friend at the time saw red glowing eyes manifest on the far end of the bridge that led over the river to connect the main playground to the trail around the lake, as well as shadows moving that shouldn't have been.

Mounds State Park on the south end is home to one of the largest Native American mounds in the US. A lot of people have reported seeing a woman in white near the Great Mound (several of my friends, included, though I never saw her), and there's a legend about blue cloaked Dwarves seen around the area. Whether real or imagined, while out at the mound late one night with a couple friends, I did see a silver fox that looked to be about the size of coyote dart between a couple of trees about thirty feet from me before vanishing. I didn't think it was a coyote, since it wasn't built like one, and the tail was too bushy. Feeling followed was a regular thing when ever I would go at night, and most people I've talked to have said much the same thing. Either way, that mound was one of the few places in town that I felt truly at peace.

Witch's Circle was a graveyard just outside of town out in the boonies that dated back to the late 1800's and was rumored to be a gathering place of witches in the past. The only way you could get in was to park on the road, as the ditches out in that area made pulling off the road a dumb idea at best. Then, you had to walk a foot trail back into a copse of trees that surrounded the graves. There were maybe 15 graves or so, and all but one were of women. Most of the dates were from the 1880's through 1920's, but there was one from the early 90's. It was just a peaceful and beautiful graveyard with rumor of hauntings (never saw evidence for myself) and a psychopathic farmer who owned the land and would run off anyone with a shot gun (also, thankfully, never confirmed personally).

There's also Crybaby Bridge south of town that was said to be where a woman murdered her baby by tossing it into the river below. People would talk about hearing a baby crying if they went out there at night.

There were also a number of personal experiences that I had, as well as experiences that people around me would talk about, but those were usually random haunting stories, not really connected with a reported hot spot like the others I talked about. I've seen and experienced too much to doubt that at least some reported ghosts/demons/whatever do really exist.

Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 pm
Maladomini

This is one of the scar-- well, creepiest things I've seen that's technically within the city limits of Lansing. Seriously, those things are fupping creepy.

and also this.

...but then, I have a weird sense of the things that scare me.

Goth name: Calhoun Dreamyr

Fri May 11, 2012 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Stygia

FairyInBoots wrote:
This is one of the scar-- well, creepiest things I've seen that's technically within the city limits of Lansing. Seriously, those things are fupping creepy.

and also this.

You're not the only one. That car is creepy.

Fri May 11, 2012 3:00 am
Minauros

Alice in Zombieland wrote:
FairyInBoots wrote:

and also this.

You're not the only one. That car is creepy.

Agreed, but I am thoroughly amused by the Blues Brothers in someone's yard.

Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 am
Malbolge

Ha, the scariest things in my town are the dead trees around...they have eyes, you know! :lol:

They are dead, but beautiful all the same. I frequently picture myself getting lost among them.

Papilio enim mortuum puella (butterfly for a dead girl)

Fri May 11, 2012 9:20 am
Maladomini

Necromantic_Lovely wrote:
Ha, the scariest things in my town are the dead trees around...they have eyes, you know! :lol:

They are dead, but beautiful all the same. I frequently picture myself getting lost among them.

Every dead tree from my neighbour's back garden has fallen into mine. It's ridiculous! I'd call their landlord to come get these things hauled away, but I have a couple ideas for the dead wood.

Goth name: Calhoun Dreamyr

Fri May 11, 2012 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next