View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:07 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The "Nuclear Bomb in Politics" 
Administrator

Post The "Nuclear Bomb in Politics"
Conservative radio commentator and conspiracy theorist, Glenn Beck has announced that the "nuclear bomb in politics" is the question of LGBT rights.

This came out during a recent interview with Beck's personal choice for our next U.S. president: Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann. Bachmann was discussing a recent incident at one of her book signings in which an 8-year-old child told her that his mommy is gay and doesn't need fixing.

Bachmann defended herself by saying that the child was coerced into doing this by his lesbian parents, and that Bachmann was not a homophobe. And this is what Glenn Beck dubbed the "nuclear bomb in politics" -- claiming that candidates such as Bachmann are being deliberately "set up" as homophobes in order to destroy their chances at election.

It seems that even questioning candidates on their stand regarding the LGBT community and rights is being defensively viewed as an attack on their candidacy. The "nuclear bomb in politics." Perhaps they would prefer that the LGBT community just shut up and disappear back into their closets.

The fact that Bachmann has openly called the LGBT community "part of Satan" (religious hyperbole of the most repugnant sort) kind of precludes any need to "set her up" for political destruction. She's done a good enough job of setting herself up, without help from anyone else.

I don't think that the question of LGBT rights is the "nuclear bomb in politics." I think that candidates such as Michele Bachmann are already dying of their own hate-iation poisoning.

-- Nephele

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:39 am
Nessus

Post Re: The "Nuclear Bomb in Politics"
Really nuclear bombs are the nuclear bomb of politics....

But we already know that Glenn Beck can't call a spade a spade.

More relevant, how is confronting a politician with an issue anything other than an opportunity for them to shine? If they fail to measure up to the electorate's needs then the politician is at fault, no the electorate.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
GAF

I would say that Glenn Beck is the Devil, but I don't want to offend the Devil.

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 am
Profile YIM
Cania

Nephele wrote:
The fact that Bachmann has openly called the LGBT community "part of Satan" (religious hyperbole of the most repugnant sort) kind of precludes any need to "set her up" for political destruction. She's done a good enough job of setting herself up, without help from anyone else.

She's also one of the three candidates who have signed the National Organization For Marriage pledge to [if elected] investigate gay rights activists who have opposed those opposing gay marriage [link].

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
Manisha

I see this and I am reminded of Prop 8: The Musical

I think people do wish that the LGBT community would just 'shut up and go away' but to ignore the fact we are unequal is something I hope not many can tolerate.

The only nuclear bomb in politics is merging religion and hate into your image and complaining when such plans backfire and reveal you for who you really are.

And I agree with Wolfie, to call Glenn Beck the devil is an insult to the devil. I'm sure if Satan existed he's looking down at Glenn Beck (and the rest of the people who don't want equal rights for LGBT and going "Wow. What a Dick."

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator

sgath92 wrote:
She's also one of the three candidates who have signed the National Organization For Marriage pledge to [if elected] investigate gay rights activists who have opposed those opposing gay marriage [link].

Republican candidates Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, and Mitt Romney. Why am I not surprised.

These three, along with other Republican candidates, were recently invited to speak at the Thanksgiving Family Forum that was co-sponsored by the National Organization for Marriage.

The Republican candidates were rated according to how they responded to certain key questions posed to them at this forum. Not surprisingly, Ron Paul received low marks from these people. (Which I think speaks well for Ron Paul.)

Here is what Bob Vander Plaats, president of the Family Leader (a Christian conservative organization that also co-sponsored this forum), had to say regarding why Ron Paul will not be receiving any endorsement from his organization:

Bob Vander Plaats wrote:
Paul finishes last because he’s simply not a social conservative’s cup of tea. That said, one has to admire Paul’s honesty and willingness to tell the head of the National Organization of Marriage why he doesn’t support a federal marriage amendment. Paul had some supporters in the audience, but he is going to struggle to earn the support of a lot of social conservatives in the state.

Paul knows this, and it is admirable of him to attend events that are not necessarily in his wheelhouse. Whether or not you agree with him, you have to give him one thing – he’s consistent. I have no doubt about what Paul believes and why. He’s ranked on the bottom of the list because it’s clear he doesn’t have a Biblical worldview. He has a libertarian worldview.

-- Nephele

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:22 pm
Nessus

Glenn Beck is a moron who is about 10000000000000 degrees removed from reality.

I have heard that once the GoP declares a candidate the LGBT issue may come up, but as a Rep values versus Dem values fight in order to garner the conservative vote.

Thing is that over 50% of the country thinks the LGBT community should have equal rights, so by creating that distinction the GoP may very well be shooting themselves in the foot.

Personally I don't think that it's going to be an issue. If anything, I think Women's Reproductive Rights and the desire to repress the middle class even further will be the two main issues on the GoP side.

And I just bought a bigger TV, so I will be watching the debates in 42" of beautiful HD. :P

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 pm
Malbolge

The saddest thing about this is that this IS an actual issue. This country is falling apart at the seams yet we worry about gay people getting married. This issue should have been settled a long time ago. It's absolute lunacy.

The old Gods are back and they are mad as Hel!

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:34 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator

ThePaganMafia wrote:
The saddest thing about this is that this IS an actual issue. This country is falling apart at the seams yet we worry about gay people getting married. This issue should have been settled a long time ago. It's absolute lunacy.

We worry about civil liberties in this nation, which include freedom of speech, the right to privacy, the right to be free from unreasonable searches of one's home, the right to a fair court trial, the right to vote, and last but not least, the right to marry.

And we worry about civil rights which are meant to protect all citizens against unequal treatment based on race, religion, disability, national origin, gender, etc. The issue is whether or not sexual orientation should be included under the protections of civil rights.

There shouldn't be anything to "settle" regarding "gay people getting married," as the government should not be interfering in the voluntary associations of others, or in defining the limits of those associations.

-- Nephele

Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:56 am
Nessus

To be fair Nephele, I read the opposite from that. It should long ago be enshrined in law and in the public consciousness that letting gay people get married won't allow Al-Quaeda win instantly.

Actually that could be an interesting Democrat platform during the next election...

"You know who hates gay people? Republicans. You know who ELSE hates gay people? MUSLIMS! What happens when Muslims hate something? That's right, TERRORISM!"

Sadly I can see this working.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

Nephele wrote:
ThePaganMafia wrote:

We worry about civil liberties in this nation, which include freedom of speech, the right to privacy, the right to be free from unreasonable searches of one's home, the right to a fair court trial, the right to vote, and last but not least, the right to marry.

And we worry about civil rights which are meant to protect all citizens against unequal treatment based on race, religion, disability, national origin, gender, etc. The issue is whether or not sexual orientation should be included under the protections of civil rights.

There shouldn't be anything to "settle" regarding "gay people getting married," as the government should not be interfering in the voluntary associations of others, or in defining the limits of those associations.

-- Nephele

Well I agree. My point is it's just absurd that this such a big moral issue. That it is actually a factor in our political race. Especially with everything that's going on.

The old Gods are back and they are mad as Hel!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:08 am
Profile YIM
Malbolge

Personally I think, at least in my own country; that this era, as in the next 5 years or so is the "Last Stand" for the neo-conservitive, religious controlled politics and bureaucracy. People on the ground, and the up and coming generations are getting fed up with these "non-issues" becoming issues.

I look at something like the ad's coming out of republican candidates. Talking about how God doesn't want healthcare or God doesn't accept people for who and where they are at...? God wants people in prison and homeless people to "go home"...

I can not believe that there are really people watching these ads and feeling like "Hey, that sounds good, I'm glad we've got christians in charge to take away our compassion... just like Jesus would have..."

Maybe it's because the concept is so foreign here? because it's been expected and accepted for so long? I can't honestly believe these are actually real issues that people will vote on. That they are not just political grandstanding..?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:46 am
GAF

I agree with Pagan. Gay marriage should've never been an issue in the first place. His stance is normally that the government shouldn't go poking its nose in the private affairs of law-abiding citizens. That's something I'm on board with. There are other things politicians could be focusing on instead. Like taxing the rich.

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:59 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator

Wolfmammy wrote:
I agree with Pagan. Gay marriage should've never been an issue in the first place. His stance is normally that the government shouldn't go poking its nose in the private affairs of law-abiding citizens. That's something I'm on board with. There are other things politicians could be focusing on instead. Like taxing the rich.

Except that this is not merely a matter of government "poking its nose" in the private affairs of citizens. It's a matter of government being required to take an active stand in extending the protection of civil rights to LGBT people in this nation.

Marriage equality became an issue only when people started to speak up for it. It became a really big issue when the status quo was challenged. It will rightfully remain an issue until government recognizes the civil liberties of LGBT people and grants civil rights to everybody.

I hear what you're saying in that it "shouldn't" be an issue at all. But this isn't an ideal world (as you already know), and whenever the status quo is challenged, issues happen. The conservatives would like it all to go away and for all of us to return to the 1950s. But that's not going to happen.

-- Nephele

Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:39 am
Avernus

This brings to mind the recent "Stronger" video that that stuttering George Bush v2 guy recently put up on youtube. Rick Perry. What a twit. "There's something wrong with this country when gay people can be open but the bible isn't being taught in schools, so therefore I'mma gonna force the bible down Murrika's throat! Ah'm Rick Purry and ah approve dis 'ere message yeeehaw." Ok, so maybe I deviated and started to mock Rick Perry for his abject stupidity because he pisses me off that much, but that's pretty much what he said.

At any rate, this circus sideshow of freaks that the Geriatrics On Parade is lining up to go up against Obama doesn't have a snowball's chance in the ninth circle of hell of actually winning a presidential election. The GOP made no effort whatsoever to actually bring any moderates to bear. They basically drudged up the most fanatical, psychotically neocons they could find and went "THIS'LL WORK!" Yes, indeed, republicans... this WILL work, so said the dim-witted fisherman as he cut himself and dipped into shark-infested waters, a butterfly net in both hands. It'll work...but not in the way you think it will work or the way you want it to work. Traditionally, despite everything the media tells us, the truth of it is that independents are who decide who wins [if everyone voted along party lines, every vote would virtually be a tie]. The independents who favor Republicans favor MODERATE Republicans, and those have gotten very, very scarce. Obama only has a 50% approval rating and as far as everyone is concerned, regardless who wins the republican primaries, they might as well concede the vote to Obama. They can't even attack him on national security, and every time they try, it's the most feeble thing I've ever heard in a political 'attack,' and even they seem fully aware of it; he did in less than three years what Bush failed to do in seven in taking out public enemy no. 1. Must suck for the republicans; the only ground they ever manage to really take against democrats over the last fifty years has been national security...and now they have to try to find a weakness in the president who authorized the operation that killed the most hated man in American history.

As far as gay marriage goes...we all know where this comes from. It's that invisible bearded guy floating around in the sky and his book of contradictions that a bunch of people wrote decades after their prophet had died...supposedly. And this is a christian nation, of course, we can never forget that. ...Nevermind that most politicians tend to misquote history quite a bit. "It's always been 'one nation under god!'" they bleat, forgetting entirely that it was only "one nation, indivisible..." up until the earliest years of the 20th century when a republican president had it be added to the pledge...completely against the first amendment of the constitution, no less. For being such a supposedly secular nation, this is really not a secular nation. I wonder how many steps away we are from adopting our own version of the Anglican Church...

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:59 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next