View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Most egotistical artists 
Cania

Post Most egotistical artists
I know this will be frowned upon, since an artist's personality shouldn't affect they way you listen to their music.... but it still manages to bug the shit out me.

Are there any artists (or even bands) that just strick you as being egocentric, arrogant, vain, narcissitic, conceited, superficial - you get the picture?

To start this out, I will say, Emilie Autumn. I enjoy listening to her music and snippets of her wardrobe, but I just can't get the whole Attrition incident from a few years back past me. To make a long story that may have some misconceptions short, Attrition and Projekt records are in it (making dark music) for the music; Emilie Autumn is in it for the money.

And I despite the fact that I listen to her music, her image is everything that I find wrong with goth (and I'm kinda disappointed that I rarely find anyone who feels this way). People always make threads about Emilie Autumn vs. Lady Gaga, but the way I see, Emilie Autumn is the Lady Gaga of goth - and I don't mean that in a good way at all.

"The first rule of Goth Club is : You do not talk about Goth Club." - Milky

Remember, Arthur and Lancelot: bros before hoes!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 am
Maladomini

Post Re: Most egotistical artists
I know what you mean.

Just to be fair she's been criticised for songs like "Thank God I'm Pretty" when the message is a bitter and sarcastic commentary on sexism/sexual harassment, rather than being self flattering. She's pointing out that her being labeled as "pretty" isn't a compliment or a privilege - it's actually objectifying her and taking away her right to physical safety by singling her out as 'rapeable'.

I will definitely agree with you about the whole image/stage presence though. I watched one performance on Youtube in which they played the 'Rat Game', and if it's often like that her shows could be more about a performance than the music.

I haven't seen enough of her stuff to fully judge, but I have heard a few criticisms along the lines of style over substance.

Wing Commander Batty of the Gothsylvanian Air Force

I need a check up from the neck up, I'm Batty!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:08 am
GAF

I absolutely think that an artist's personality should be taken into account when listening to their music.

I'm going to say Jerry Only and Al Jourgensen. I can't stand them. I've never liked Emilie Autumn. And I can't stand Tori Amos. No, I don't think she's a 'beautiful, tortured soul' because she makes songs about rape. She should have used music to get past that tragedy in her life instead of using it for record sales.

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:58 am
Profile YIM
Administrator

Billy Corgan, an example of his ego in action :
Billy Corgan wrote:
Do I belong in the conversation about the best artists in the world? My answer is yes, I do,” he says. “I’ve been too productive for too long, and despite what anybody wants to strip away from me, I am influential. I am. You can hear echoes of my music right now. So all the Pitchforks in the world can try to strip me of every ounce of dignity, but I belong.

There are countless examples of his gigantic ego out there though, other excellent personality traits he possesses include being a total hypocrite (he joined a Christian Hippy cult all about peace and love, all his modern songs are about that, all his online posts are about that, but every interview is a total hatefest were he bashes former bandmates, former friends and other bands, every concert there is almost certainly going to be a rant and he's probably going to verbally attack the fans).

I still love the music he used to make though.

David Bowie - All the Madmen
lastfm

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Andrew Eldritch is reputed to have quite an ego. Apparently, his abysmal drum playing didn't tone it down much.

I still love the Sisters, though. :mrgreen:

"The Dead Travel Fast." ~ Bram Stoker, Dracula's Guest

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:05 am
Manisha

And, as i did in the 'artists you want to dislike but can't" I will, again, have to say Amy Lee. Every time i hear about her she strikes me as a stuck up snob who thinks she is better than everyone else.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Me.

Me, me, me, me, me... ( :wink: :lol:)

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:58 pm
Nessus

Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Glenn Danzig and how he got his clock cleaned backstage after a show should speak volumes.
I've NEVER heard good things about that guy. He gets a facelift, starts working out, and suddenly he thinks he's god's, or the devil's, gift to all women..... He's outright rude to most of his fans as well.

Andrew Eldrich, if his interviews in print and his website don't convince you, look for some of his Youtube interviews.

There's one where he won't let the guy get a word in edgewise because he's too busy talking about himself and how great he is, makes it sound like it's a "privilege" for any of his fans to see him live, and the fact that his speaking voice is the exact opposite of his singing voice(annoyingly high pitched and nasal) doesn't help any.

The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:19 am
Profile WWW
GAF

centurion wrote:
Glenn Danzig and how he got his clock cleaned backstage after a show should speak volumes.
I've NEVER heard good things about that guy. He gets a facelift, starts working out, and suddenly he thinks he's god's, or the devil's, gift to all women..... He's outright rude to most of his fans as well.

Andrew Eldrich, if his interviews in print and his website don't convince you, look for some of his Youtube interviews.

There's one where he won't let the guy get a word in edgewise because he's too busy talking about himself and how great he is, makes it sound like it's a "privilege" for any of his fans to see him live, and the fact that his speaking voice is the exact opposite of his singing voice(annoyingly high pitched and nasal) doesn't help any.

I can give Glenn a pass on the sucker-punch. Anyone can get sucker-punched, don't mean shit.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:21 am
Profile YIM
Maladomini

Lead singer of green day man i hate guy

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:13 pm
Stygia

Wolfmammy wrote:
I absolutely think that an artist's personality should be taken into account when listening to their music.

I'm going to say Jerry Only and Al Jourgensen. I can't stand them. I've never liked Emilie Autumn. And I can't stand Tori Amos. No, I don't think she's a 'beautiful, tortured soul' because she makes songs about rape. She should have used music to get past that tragedy in her life instead of using it for record sales.

Al has a sense of humor that people mistake for him just being an asshole. He's actually a real chill dude, met him a few years ago, one of the funniest mofo's I have ever met in my life.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:43 pm
Cania

Dave Mustaine.
I LOVE him, and I LOVE Megadeth.
But seriously. Metallica kicked you out 20-something years ago. Grow up, dear. We're all tired of hearing about it. If your alcoholism is bad enough to get kicked out of "Alcoholica", then yes, it is on you.
And we don't care if you nailed Kirk's girlfriend either.
Drop it.

Cats don't have emotions--they're the animal equivalent of sociopaths.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 am
GAF

^That is awesome! :lol: Fuckin' Mustaine

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:04 pm
Profile YIM
Cania

he just needs to stop crying like a bitch.

Cats don't have emotions--they're the animal equivalent of sociopaths.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:10 pm
Nessus

Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
....and get his nose out of his vocal chords?? :lol:

The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:49 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next