View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:47 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 US study of teenage sexual disease ... - ... destroys basis of virginity crusade 
Cania

US Study of teenage sexual disease destroys basis of virginity crusade

Translation: "Conservative abstinence agenda collapses like a flan in a cupboard"

I have always maintained that if kids get PROPER sexual education, then, and only then will teenage pregnancy and disease go away.

Let's face it, teenagers will NOT be abstaining from sex anytime soon. Let's just educate them properly about using birth control, K?

American teenagers who take the pledge to remain virgins until they marry have almost the same rate of sexually transmitted disease as other young people, a new study of adolescent behaviour says.

The finding destroys a key rationale for the abstinence crusade - that it prevents disease - and poses a strong challenge to a social engineering project that has been embraced by the White House.

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:05 am
Cania

I wonder how they get the STD's if they're sustaining from sex though.

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Minauros

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:29 am
Nessus

I wonder how they get the STD's if they're sustaining from sex though.

The article did also say that 88% of those kids actually do have sex before they make it to the altar. And then once they fall off the wagon, they often have abysmal sex ed, and will not use adequate protection.

And then there is the oral sex thing that the above person mentioned. And we all know that oral sex isn't sexual relations...

badoom-tish.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Cania

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Cania

And then once they fall off the wagon, they often have abysmal sex ed, and will not use adequate protection.

So then, where does the vibrating rubber ducky come into play?

Edited By Kit on 1078948065

Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Stygia

Thats TOO cute, i want a vibrating rubber ducky now!=:)

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Stygia

A study i saw on a friends wall (she pulls things out of magazines and such to make a collage upon her wall) had a thing that was something like this... not quite exact... but close...

Age of first having sex
19+ 10%
17-18 14%
15-16 45%
13-14 21%
under 13 10%

As i said... not exact... but the under 13, and over 19 was basiclty that... MAYBE higher!!! That is insane. 13! I was barerly enticing the thoughts of women at 13.

Praise Bauhaus!

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minauros

There's no possible education that can beat hormones. Have you ever seen how these things work? If a teenage male is offered sex, 95% of the time he'll take it (the other 5%, well, they're either weird or too mature for their own good).

There's hardly any education that can beat the pop culture. If a teenage female is is told by the media that sex is good, she won't hesitate too hard to copulate.

Finally there's no education (or limit) in hell, heaven, or in this cursed earth that can beat teenage stupidity. We rely on it. Hell, capitalist society NEEDS it.

God, I was a stupid teen...

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

I think that the whole abstinence crusade can be related to things like the war on drugs: When the adults tell the kids "DON'T DO IT, IT'S BAD," the kids do it anyway. It seems to me like this happens across the board, but nobody seems to notice.

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Stygia

I agree with you entirely magicsofa. If kids are told "Don't do it" that in my opinion makes them all the more likely to. The fact that they have no proper education about things like sex and drugs makes these things seem more glamourous/mysterious/exciting to them and they are therefore more likely to try them.

Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

There's no possible education that can beat hormones. Have you ever seen how these things work? If a teenage male is offered sex, 95% of the time he'll take it (the other 5%, well, they're either weird or too mature for their own good).

There's hardly any education that can beat the pop culture. If a teenage female is is told by the media that sex is good, she won't hesitate too hard to copulate.

Finally there's no education (or limit) in hell, heaven, or in this cursed earth that can beat teenage stupidity. We rely on it. Hell, capitalist society NEEDS it.

God, I was a stupid teen...

I don't know where you are and what they teach/taught you. But our sex ed in school in Holland (which was at like age 12-13 in the second year in highschool) was never about "now kids, don't do this". But they did give us extensive information about the reproductive system, the various birthcontrol methods and the various sexually transmitted diseases out there.

I'm talking about sex ed that teaches people to do it safely, not "sex ed" that tells people to abstain. If they want to abstain, that's fine and their choice, but the reality is that in most cases it's just not happening. And pop culture might be telling people to do it, at least education should tell them to do it safely.

Usually, and I don't mean to piss off any of the more religious of our members, the more religious the school, the less inclined they are to give decent education about the basics of sex. As though that will somehow entice the kids even more to have sex. Not to mention the Catholic church among others has often denounced condom use, and has gone as far as claiming that condoms are unsafe, don't protect against diseases, and even cause AIDS (yes, I've really seen this, there are existing articles about it, though it's more in third world nations).

Holland has an extensive sex ed, we also have one of the lowest teen pregnancy rates in Europe, if not the world. I'm sure one of the Brits around here will chime in about the fact that there they have less of a sex ed curriculum, and Britain has one of the higher pregnancy rates in Europe.

To think teenagers aren't having sex is just either ignorance, or a willful blindness to the truth. They're having sex, so in my opinion you might as well give them the tools to at least make a safer choice when they do do it.

The current statistics are such that 1 in 4 americans has herpes, I believe it's like 1 in 6 has HPV (human papilloma virus), and I saw billboards on the train going into NYC this afternoon that claimed that a large percentage of HIV infected people don't know they're infected. These diseases, some relatively "harmless" and others damaging or eventually fatal, are some of the many things that you face when practising unsafe sex. To not equip teenagers to deal with that kind of thing and hope that they'll just not have sex is highly irresponsible in my opinion.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Minauros

Well, first of all, I never intended to offend anyone, so sorry, Lilith, if I wrote anything that pissed you off.

Then again, you quoted my whole post and didn't actually debate any of it's content. I didn't mean to say that you can't have proper Sex Ed in schools; I tried to say that you can't try to force abstination, or expect chastity on teenagers just because you told them about the risks of sex.

Of course, the best way to prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancies is to expect that teenagers will act like so and start having sex at tender ages, and educate them about protection, and responsability, not about abstinence.

By the way, Lilith, I would love to have a chat with you about 1st, 2nd, 3rd world countries' education (of course I don't meant to "instruct" you, I meant just chat about views). I live in México, and I'm sure you'd be amazed to now how Sex Ed is handled here.

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Nessus

/div wrote:
And then once they fall off the wagon, they often have abysmal sex ed, and will not use adequate protection.

So then, where does the vibrating rubber ducky come into play?

Just before this does...

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Minauros

That's the kind of thing you don't want mixed with your dry cleaning...

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next