View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Any Maryland Goths? 
Phlegethos

Post Re: Any Maryland Goths?
Yeah, the house is pretty impressive, it's back aways from the road down a tree-lined drive. It's a large white colonial style house. I actually went back a few years later (thinking we would go in this time), but it was so boarded up the you would need a crowbar to get in, which is a little too much on the breaking and entering side of "exploring" for me.

There is also a curse associated with this house and those books. Supposedly, if you take one of the books you will be cursed. I've known two people to take books from that house and have really back luck afterwards, but it's probably just a coincidences. I don't really believe in curses and such, but I do find them interesting. I wish I could remember more details about the place and story, but it's been a long time.

As for clubs, other than Orpheus, that's unfortunately it for Baltimore. DC on the other hand has always been a notch or two above Baltimore and I know there is a goth club called Midnight (or at least that's the party name) in DC. Beyond that, maybe Philly or NYC.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:37 am
Maladomini

I'm not too sure about breaking and entering either. And especially looking like Goth people we likely will get it worse than an average person. I recently commented to Voltaire about how sucky it is to be a Goth/Metalhead/Alternative person here in Maryland, and he replied back saying "yeah, Maryland sucks too", which I thought was cool, lol.

I do believe in curses as I'm pretty immersed in occultism and such, but I would have to wonder how that sort of thing could be cursed, especially since this guy likely wanted people to buy and read his book. Maybe leave a few dollars when taking one would help? Doubt he could use the money now obviously, but it would be funny if that would end any sort of curse, if such a thing exists in this case.

A lot of the curse/magickal stuff relies soley on how much power is given to it in a lot of cases. But that's all a discussion for another day.

I'm itching to go Goth clubbing, and DC is one place I definitely want to check out as I love DC anyhow. I'm going to look up on that Midnight club you mentioned, so thanks for the info. I thought I heard of one that I think was in DC called Shampoo, but I may be wrong about that one.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phlegethos

Basically, unless you live in a very diverse neighborhood in a large city, people will be wary of you, especially in a somewhat redneck state. The average person is an idiot and most people are dumber than that, so you throw in someone who is different than them and they only way they can deal with it is to harass them so that they feel better about themselves. It's sucks.

Yeah, I don't really believe in curses, but I surely wouldn't want to press my luck with one. One of the people who took the book, returned it after a few years and her luck got significantly better, so maybe leaving something to pay for what she took could have prevented the bad luck. I always found occultism rather fascinating and I used to read books about it when I was a kid.

Yeah, me too. I would think DC would big on a bigger scale than Baltimore. Orpheus is a rather small place. Shampoo is in Philly, it's a huge club. I went there once on my one and only trip to Philly, back in my rave days, it was a rather good time. I know they have a goth night.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:04 am
Maladomini

Have you been to Orpheus in recent times? If so what bands have they played? I guess that can change considering who is DJing, but I'd still like to have an idea before I scrape (and I literally mean scrape) the money together to go down there.

Also, I heard it moved or something. I hope so as it was in a nasty little part of the city when I last went. Any truth in this?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:19 am
Profile WWW
Phlegethos

No, i unfortunately haven't been to Orpheus, but I'm pretty sure it's only about $5 to get in, so if you're not drinking or anything, you can at least get in. It also hasn't moved and is still on the edge of Little Italy on Pratt St. That area has really been built up over the last few years with expensive swanky townhomes and isn't as seedy as it once was. Though, that being said, it is still Baltimore and I would still "be aware of your surroundings" when going down there.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:10 pm
Maladomini

I don't drink anyway so thats not a factor for me, and I"m glad it's only 5$ to get in. It used to be 10$, if I remember correctly.

I'm not too crazy on going to Baltimore anyway, but I'm dying to get to Orpheus again and actually be there on a true Goth night. I'll certainly go with a very large group of friends, just like I did last time; I'd never set foot in the city by myself.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Phlegethos

I would check out the Ascension MySpace page then, that would probably give you the most up-to-date info. I think going on the Friday Ascension Goth Night is really your best bet.

Do you think Baltimore is unsafe?

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:52 am
Maladomini

I guess it depends which part of Baltimore we're talking about, but the last time I went to Orpheus, like six or seven years ago, the first thing we saw when we stepped out of our cars was a car that had been literally been bashed into bits by someone. And the area around us, complete with constant police sirens, was as seedy as they come. It looked like a set for a crime movie, lol.

But I've been wanting to go to this store called Sticky Fingers, if it still exists, which I believe is located in Fells Point. Many people have told me that Fells Point is a rather nice part of the city with many places to go to and things to do.

Do you live in Baltimore City or just the County? Have you ever been to Sticky Fingers? It's supposed to be a decent Goth clothing store, but I don't want to get my hopes up if it's not all it's cracked up to be when I finally go.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:07 am
Profile WWW
Phlegethos

Yeah, Baltimore has really changed a lot for the better over the last several years, even just the last two or three years really. It's much nicer and safer than it used to be. More of the crime and poverty has been pushed into the county because they've really built up Baltimore and it is a nice place to live. I've lived in the city for about five years now.

I've lived in Federal Hill, Fells Point, Mt. Vernon and currently in Charles Village. But it is the city and there are cops and sirens everywhere and you still can't leave anything visible in your car (or it will probably get stolen via a broken car window), but other than that, I've never really had any problems. It was about three years ago when they started building up Little Italy and the area around Orpheus, so it really is much better now.

I haven't really been to Fells since I moved from there about four years ago. I remember Stikky Fingers, it was a pretty cool shop. It's not Goth explicitly, but you could still find some things there. I guess it would categorized as an "alternative" store, it was like a higher-end Hot Topic before Hot Topic came around. Also, in Fells is Sound Garden which is an amazing music store. They have really the largest and most hard to find CDs out there and you can sell CDs you don't want as well. Fells is okay, it's kind of dirty and there are a lot crazy homeless down there and a lot of bars.

I would also check out Hampden, it's up by Charles Village near JHU. The Avenue (which is kind of like a Main St) there has some boutiques (not necessarily goth, but you can find great furniture deals) and also a great bookstore, Atomic Books, which has some really great goth, occult, and bizzaro stuff.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 am
Maladomini

Damn, that does sound cool! I'm glad that the area around Orpheus is better than it used to be. I do plan on going the minute I have the money and a few other people to go with.

I've heard a lot about Sound Garden and have been meaning to go there for years now. I used to listen to mostly Extreme Metal, but now I have switched to Darkwave and Goth stuff. Even Record and Tape Traders has very little in the way of Goth, though underground Metal is still to be found there. I traded an obscure music taste for an even more obscure one, lol. I just hope they have SOMETHING at Sound Garden that I'd like, maybe one of the Lycia CDs I don't own or what-not.

Speaking of clothing stores, ever been to 10 Car Pile Up in Towson? It's a used vintage clothing store and while obviously not a Gothic store itself I did find myself a very awesome pair of pants there that very much fit into a Gothic wardrobe. Its a decent store thats worth checking out, though its been a while since I've been there, since I have no money at the moment.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Phlegethos

I know of 10 Car Pile Up (I grew up in Towson), which is a rather small store and somewhat overpriced store. If you like that you should definitely hit up the Avenue in Hampden, most of the stores there have vintage second-hand clothes like 10 Car, but the stores are much, much bigger and cheaper, and there are several of them.

Seriously, you should just come to Baltimore one afternoon and hit up Sound Garden in Fells and the Avenue. :) There about 15 mins from each other.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 am
Maladomini

OK, I'll do that. Hope my tax return is good this year because I'm in the market for new clothes, and I'm a cheap bastard by nature, lol.

I need a job soon too, so I wonder if any of these places are hiring by any chance? I can only imagine the look of horror on my parents faces when I see them next and tell them I work in the city, lol.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Phlegethos

LOL. Yeah, the city isn't as bad is it was when we were kids. I know a lot of people still think that you go into the city and you'll get shot/robbed, but it's really not that bad. You will be surprised when you come down here. :)

What kind of work do you do? You could always call and see if they are hiring.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:03 am
Maladomini

Hmm, I'm trying to stay away from anything too physical like factory work because every single job I've ever had claims I go too slow, even when I am going at my fastest possible rate. I've never been a very physical person and I just by nature cannot move very fast so stuff like factory work is likely out of the question. But I am pretty good with people and all, so anything of that nature is fine; sales, anything involving writing, thats the kind of stuff I'm primarily looking for right now, but jobs are so scarce right now. I am loving the freedom of not working but my money is practically depleted and I need to find something in the next two months before I'm left eating Ramens again, lol.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Phlegethos

yeah, no one is really hiring that much nowadays. I've been looking for a new job myself for the last few months and can't seem to find much. What kind of job did you have before?

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:37 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next