View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 9 posts ] 
 Radio... 
I was just listening to an online radio. I was thinkin it would be awsome if you put an online radio up. Just a thought. I would ditch all those other radios if you hooked one up. Just thought it would be cool.
-matt

Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:44 am
Nessus

I was just listening to an online radio. I was thinkin it would be awsome if you put an online radio up. Just a thought. I would ditch all those other radios if you hooked one up.

While online radio would be a nice idea, it would possibly suck some bandwidth. And then also, just because you can stream music online doesn't make one a proper DJ.

I think there are numerous good online radio stations out there right now, so we have no plans to expand into that area.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

online radio? BAD idea.. in ways that i cannot possibly begin to enumerate....
bandwidth problems are frequent with a radio station. I put up a radio station a couple of years ago, and it ate up 75% of my T1 line's bandwidth.

pink versus black - black versus magenta
this picture of you - just melts in my agenda

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

online radio? BAD idea.. in ways that i cannot possibly begin to enumerate....
bandwidth problems are frequent with a radio station. I put up a radio station a couple of years ago, and it ate up 75% of my T1 line's bandwidth.

Ouch! 75% of a T1 is some serious suckage.

I occasionally stream when I play music, but that's to a friend or two, and usually just for a few songs. I don't consider myself a dj... my music collection isn't extensive enough for that. Plus I have a tendency to play weird stuff together.

And, as I mentioned before, there are plenty of online radio stations already catering to that need.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:49 am
Nessus

How bout some links then?

GOTH.NET > Links > Music > Radio / Streaming Audio

Hidden Sanctuary is good, as is Dead Air (they keep audio files of their past 2 shows online that you can play). The others I've not yet had time to try out.

I'm sure more links can be obtained via Google.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Yeah i understand how the bandwidth could go down so far. Especially when it's a popular station. I checked out some of those music links. I don't really like them because it's all in the browser. But I understand why now.

Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:04 am
Nessus

I ran the station off of my college's server. It didn't make a difference at first, but then, little by little, bandwidth started disappearing as I became the oneof the more popular industrial goth station on shoutcast.
After a few weeks, I got a call from my college's tech support telling me to shut it down. I complied when they told me that I was using 75% of the bandwidth on a T1 line that is supposed to take care of about 600 other people besides little ol' me.
c'est la vie.

pink versus black - black versus magenta
this picture of you - just melts in my agenda

Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Minauros

It isn't in the recources area, so now that Stoicnoise is back up after the icestorm, here's the link

Amped Out/Stoic Noise

It generally classifies as industrial, and I promote it to no end... *Nods*

-Shade

For god was so ambivalent about the world, he rolled his most Boolean-faithful dice, and whosoever believeth in the unwavering distribution of the resultant biological phlegm shall not go insane, but have sound, but mortal powers of deduction.

Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]