View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, etc. 
Dis

Post Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, etc.
I just wanted the opinions of you guys on something. Can someone be goth of the above mentioned artists, etc, are not spread all over their walls in posters, or even on one's playlist? I've heard some pretty strong words in regards to this especially on other sites and chat rooms where people have actually got into full blown screaming matches, which is needless to say, a tad extreme. I was wondering because, I, myself, have tried listening to these people and they're okay, but they're not in the playlist of thing I listen to a hundred times everyday. While there are more modern artists on my playlist, Emilie Autumn being my favorite (if you'd like a list of the music i listen to in order to help better form your reply, theres one in the Introductions thread), I just am not in love with the early goth music. I love the movies, the look, the literature, the people, the music, just not the music where it all started at. Your opinions?

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:48 am
Profile WWW
Malbolge

Post Re: Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, etc.
I think from my point of view is that Goth is what you make it out to be and thats why we dont have on defintion that defines us....Its a music subculture like all others in this modern day age of society but what makes the Goth Subculture unique from all others is the fact that we dont conform and so many other points about it which am living blank sense i said earlier on that Goth is Whta you make it out to be...The music part is an ongoing story if you look through the threads we have here you would see that there are many like you who dont have much of a connection with the early goth music and you find some threads like Goth without Music and so many..Emilie Autumn is most amazing Goth artist of our age we have seen so far...

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:19 am
Profile YIM
Dis

Agreed!

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Malbolge

To me, what really matters is that you took the time to explore goth's roots. You don't have to fall all over the floor when you hear one of their songs, or even have them as your favorite bands. Although, because you have taste in darker music you are bound to like some songs from any one of those bands.

I've found that a large part of being goth is exploring your own aesthetic, and being an individual. I don't think any two goth's music collections on this site are exactly the same, nor is their sense of style, interests, hobbies, or personalities for that matter. Any "goth" who wants you to change yourself for them clearly misses the point.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:15 am
^^ Compulsory reading!

It's a classic few weeks for posts on this subject.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:27 am
Cocky Canard

A tonne of goths turned up to the Wayne Hussey (ex-Mission UK, SoM) gig near me. The artist had moved on and had newer songs, more varied musical interests. The crowd however wanted all the old hits (and I must admit he did rock at doing them). It was kind of embarrassing really, an artist should be free to express themselves and not be limited by their fans desires (hat way lies the death of creativity).
The point I guess is that whatever music you like, don't fossilize, be open to whatever is new to you (could be older music as well) or else end up a dino-goth, a relic - whatever your age.

Jereth Magas, Gothsylvania Minister of Unnatural Resources.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Manisha

Nightspectre wrote:
To me, what really matters is that you took the time to explore goth's roots. You don't have to fall all over the floor when you hear one of their songs, or even have them as your favorite bands. Although, because you have taste in darker music you are bound to like some songs from any one of those bands.

I've found that a large part of being goth is exploring your own aesthetic, and being an individual. I don't think any two goth's music collections on this site are exactly the same, nor is their sense of style, interests, hobbies, or personalities for that matter. Any "goth" who wants you to change yourself for them clearly misses the point.

Very beautifully said, Nightspectre.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:11 am
Profile YIM WWW
Dr. Strangeduck

Letalis Senium wrote:
or else end up a dino-goth, a relic - whatever your age.

Sounds like an exhibit at the Museum of Jurassic Technology (should that be Gothsylvania's Museum of Natural History?

Starting a new life with Letalis Senium <3<3<3

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:33 am
Profile YIM
Cocky Canard

That is bizarre and cool H, I have a new destination - https://www.thursford.com/default.aspx Lots of steam engines and mechanical organs.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Letalis Senium wrote:
That is bizarre and cool H, I have a new destination - https://www.thursford.com/default.aspx Lots of steam engines and mechanical organs.

I was sure I remembered the name "Thursford" from somewhere... I only used to live in Norwich!

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:23 am
Cocky Canard

Minnie, I've only been as far as Cambridge. My only memory is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPOT4mP8c8. My guess is that you know what it is, without even clicking on the link. You know.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Well, at least it wasn't Norwich's most famous DJ...

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:44 am
Cocky Canard

DarklyInclined wrote:

*cringe*

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Dr. Strangeduck

Letalis Senium wrote:
DarklyInclined wrote:

*cringe*

What the heck was THAT? :?

Starting a new life with Letalis Senium <3<3<3

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:07 pm
Profile YIM
Hmmmm... Alan Partridge hasn't crossed the pond, then (perhaps unsurprisingly). He is a fictional DJ, who worked at Radio Norwich (also fictional). He is renowned for extremely bad taste, being an utter boor, and knowing nothing about what he does for a living.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:08 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next