View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 11 posts ] 
 The Legendary Pink Dots 
Cania

Post The Legendary Pink Dots
I was searching around for some new music today, so I typed "80s punk bands" in google. Up came a wiki with a whole list of bands. For anyone who may want to reference it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-punk_bands

Anyway, there were a lot of bands I was familiar with, and a lot I was not. Of course, Bauhaus, The Cure, The Cult, March Violets, Joy Division, and many others we are all familiar with were on the list.

I started to look up some of the ones I didn't know on iTunes, because iTunes lets you listen to a sample. One that caught my attention, and I felt was worthy of sharing (especially since a search here turned up no results) was The Legendary Pink Dots. This band caught my attention because of the funny name, but you know...I rather like them. Has anyone else heard of them? They are rather different. Their wiki says they are from London and "their music touches on elements of neo-psychedelia, ambient music, electronic music, tape music, industrial, psych folk, synth-pop and goth rock, with a distinctly experimental/avant-garde bent; their sound has evolved over time and remains distinctive, making it difficult to place the group into a concise style or genre." I can definitely hear it...LOL.

Very interesting, if I may say. May appeal to some of the more traditional goths around here from the punk/new wave era (like me).

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:13 pm
Cania

Post Re: The Legendary Pink Dots
Never heard of them , but I'll check it out and come back.

Puck the Paradisiacal is An Avid Fan of Added Alliterative Appeal.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm
GAF

I've listened to some of their stuff, but couldn't get into it.

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm
Profile YIM
Nessus

They were a pretty big deal when I was coming up in the 80s, but their sound was so different that I never really managed to get into them. I think they sometimes played a song or two at the club I used to go to, but their music isn't really something you can dace to.

~spidey

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 am
Cania

spiderlimbs wrote:
They were a pretty big deal when I was coming up in the 80s, but their sound was so different that I never really managed to get into them. I think they sometimes played a song or two at the club I used to go to, but their music isn't really something you can dace to.

~spidey

Why didn't I hear of them back then? Maybe because I lived in "Podunkville" at the time, and we didn't have internet like we do now! LOL

I think what I'm liking about them is that 80's driving bass line...which I've always been a fan of...which is why I also like...gulp...dare I say it...Duran Duran! Okay, I admitted it. LOL I also like their use of violin. Being a cellist, I'm always looking for use of stringed instruments (outside of guitar) in other types of music outside of Classical and Celtic.

BTW...yes, I also liked the New Romanticism stuff back in the 80's. I guess because it was often hard to distinguish New Romanticism from New Wave...New Romance was more of a sub-genre to New Wave. There were so few bands, and the genre never really took off. Still have some Alphaville, Roxy Music, Bow Wow Wow, and Ultravox in my music collection, as well as the previous mentioned Duran Duran.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am
Minauros

GothicBfly wrote:
I think what I'm liking about them is that 80's driving bass line...which I've always been a fan of...which is why I also like...gulp...dare I say it...Duran Duran!

Nothing to be embarrassed about. If anything, you have a great ear: Amongst many musicians, John Taylor from Duran Duran is highly regarded as one of the best pop bass players of that time to have emerged from that New Romantic scene that was happening then....two other highly regarded bass players of that period were Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo and Brad Lang from ABC .....

Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Gothik Toyz wrote:
two other highly regarded bass players of that period were Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo and Brad Lang from ABC .....

Except, within this "pop bass player" context, Mark King of Level 42 is even moreso.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:07 pm
Avernus

LPD are great. Very prolific too. Edward Ka Spels solo stuff is also worth checking out, as is Tear Garden his collaborative project with members of Skinny Puppy

Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:21 am
Cania

I'll have to look into that!

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:41 am
Cania

They had a track [Blacklist] on that Black Bible compilation, think it was one of those 90s Cleopatra sets if I remember correctly.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dis

omg, LPD is essential stuff. They are horribly productive, so the biggest problem is finding an entry point and avoiding the less accessible stuff.

If i must recommend one only, it must be the totally wonderful "The Maria Dimension".

And The Tear Garden LP "Tired eyes slowly burning" (including the LP "The Centre Bullet") is thee one album i would like to be buried with. So dark, weird, magcial, growing with every listen (once you get into it).

Do you have Spotify..?

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]