View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 5 posts ] 
 Peter Murphys new album "Ninth" 
Administrator

Post Peter Murphys new album "Ninth"
I'm probably the last to know, but Peter Murphy released a new album on the 7th of June.
I only found out today as the SP community is going crazy for the new video for I spit roses.
(It was directed by Justin Coloma and the artwork is by Linda Strawberry)
Has anyone got it already? Opinions?
I'm going to look for it this weekend, but I doubt anyone will have it, I'll just have to order it in

Found this "behind the scenes" video for the single if anyones interested.

David Bowie - All the Madmen
lastfm

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

Post Re: Peter Murphys new album "Ninth"
Okay, to preface this post. I absolutely love Peter Murphy. I've seen him live three times now (once during the Secret Covers Tour in 2009 and twice during his spring tour before the release of Ninth). It amazes me how humble he is given how many people he has influenced through his work with Bauhaus and beyond.

That said, my thoughts on Ninth:

As its own album, I think it's great. Lots of catchy tunes (might take a few listens before you get into some of the songs). Some tracks I recommend are "Peace to Each," "Memory Go," and "The Prince and Old Lady Shade."

Now, let's compare to older albums. Ninth is very different from older works such as Cascade and Deep. Compared to those, Ninth isn't his best work. I feel Ninth has lost a lot of the spirituality his other albums carry and the complexity of the music. Ninth is mostly a rock guitar, electric bass, and drums kind of album (some piano in a couple places and acoustic guitar, but not frequent).

On the whole, I think it's definitely worth a listen, but don't go into it thinking it's the next Cascade or something along those lines. I can see in some parts where Peter considers this to be more a continuation of Bauhaus had the guys wanted to stick together for an album following Go Away White. And most likely you will have to get it online (I bought it the day it came out on iTunes then ordered a hard copy from Amazon). Hope this helps some!

Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:52 pm
Administrator

I totally forgot about this thread :o
Thanks for the review Rogoth, I agree with pretty much everything you've said, though perhaps not with the idea that this is a continuation of Go away Whites direction.
I don't think the album resembles Bauhaus at all really, at no point does it get as atmospheric nor as dancey as they would.
To me it's a straight forward rock album, as such, it's not a bad one, but it's not really what I listen to Peter Murphy for, so in that sense, I found it disappointing.
I can't help but wonder about what Peters been up to lately, supporting NIN in Bauhaus, appearing in Twilight and now a rock album full of radio friendly songs, is he looking for more mainstream success?

I think "Secret silk society" is my favourite track.

David Bowie - All the Madmen
lastfm

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:56 am
Profile WWW
GAF

Black Milk wrote:
is he looking for more mainstream success?

Aww, why don't our parents love us? He would shrug off our adoration in favor of the shallow flattery of the masses? :cry:

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 pm
Profile YIM
Malbolge

Black Milk wrote:
[...]though perhaps not with the idea that this is a continuation of Go away Whites direction. [...]

That's just something I remember reading about him saying at one time. Like you, I don't really get the same vibe from this album as a Bauhaus album. With possible exception to Peace to Each. I can see that, with maybe a couple changes, being a Bauhaus track.

I can see how on one hand maybe he is looking for a little mainstream success. From what I've heard in interviews, Unshattered was a massive dud (I think the label he released it on went bankrupt the same day the album came out), and he took a big hit from that. So maybe this is his way of trying to offset that big downfall and come out more or less even? Or maybe it's just what he's currently interested in?

*insert cool, spiffy text here*

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:36 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]