View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 10 posts ] 
 How has music influenced your life? 

Has music impacted your life?
Definitely 94%  94%  [ 16 ]
Nope never has 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A little bit 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
I have no idea 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

How has music influenced your life? 
Maladomini

Post How has music influenced your life?
I love music, and it has definitely helped me through some tough times. To me, music (without words, sometimes with) is pure emotion. It is art, of course, but it really has the ability to make you cry and laugh and feel better and feel horrible all at the same time. Honestly, all of my stories and poems come from music. I don't do this on purpose, but I usually associate music with a certain period in my life, and a certain season. AFI "Killing Lights" reminds me of rainy evenings. Pachabell's Canon reminds me of blinding light breaking through my curtains, and The Cure's Lullaby reminds me of a cold fall night, meditating under a full moon. Honestly, music made me who I am today.

How much of an impact has music had on your life?

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 pm
Nessus

Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Post Re: How has music influenced your life?
I'm a musician, DJ, and music journalist, so music is definitely the main influence in my life, specifically DARK music.
I know that other forms of art, mythology, and literature have drawn me over to the dark side from an early age, but I honestly don't think I'd be anything close to who I am today if it wasn't for music.

Also, I'm one of those few who aren't satisfied with what I already know.
I need to hear new dark artists (or more importantly, older important and influential artists I've still yet to discover) every day to keep the inspiration fresh in my mind. Therefore, dark music is a lifelong study and obsession for me......

As Dr. Chanard said, "We need to see.... we need to know!!!"

I need to know every dark chord emanating from the abyss of nightmares, so that I may better learn and do it better!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Dis

Music is my life... For at least an hour a day, I always have rhythm or riff playing in my head. If I'm lucky, when I play it out on an instrument, it will still sound as cool as it did in my head and sometimes a song is born.

One of my favorite moments in life is when driving around, perhaps not having the best outlook on life at that particular moment, and a song comes on the radio to remind you why it's all worth it...

Music has changed my outlook on time itself because for the moment that you are enjoying a song, time seems to stand still, and it doesn't matter how many years have passed between the first moment you fell in love with a song, and the next time you hear it, it is always current, it is always now. It's as if the song is and was always constant, and we are flitting about, moving, changing, but the song is always there in some absolute place that we can always visit; eternal and never changing.

Timing, pitch, phase, these things are all the ingredients from which the magic of music is cast...

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Maladomini

Music has certainly helped me and influenced me. I always have a song running through my head and musc is what helps me get up and get around during the day.

I wouldn't say that music is my life, as I don't play it as often as I should and, compared to some people, my collection can be rather miniscule compared to most peoples (9609 songs currently reside on my PC, with more to come).

But none the less, music helps motivate me,in one way or another.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:33 pm
Maladomini

It was in the beginning eighties, when the sun went down and a dream of love, peace and happiness was intoxicatet by drugs and hypocrisy. Endless flights into unknown sphere's of the universe shattered and gods became beggars and we were tired to see old junkeys on the stage. The big three tought us to enjoy our sadness and to gain power from sickness in the endless night made of dead illusions. But the old spirit is gone, and music is something to dance to, and the rhythms become more and more simple and boring ... the older I grow the less I can loose myself in music. I did it for 3 decades or more. It's allright. I need a new kick.

Die Stille herrscht am Grab und selbst die Eulen schweigen.
Ein Traum zerbricht ...

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Music being something to dance to........

Really makes me sad the direction the scene has gone in the last decade and a half...... :cry:

The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Manisha

I'd have to say it definitely has. I may not be able to play it or name the instruments being used in a song or even say why a song moves me so...but nothing touches me quite like music does. If I go even a day without music- you can tel the difference in my personality. I'm more stressed and easier to annoy. Music makes me happy, gives me strength and motivation, it calms my soul, makes me think, gives me peace, and brings me something unknown that nothing else in the universe could ever do. Music connects me to the part of myself and the rest of the world that I could never reach otherwise. Everything is more powerful with music.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

Considering I want to be a musician when I finish school, it definitely has. I play guitar, bass and drums, as well as violin and tenor sax in my youth. I already have a band, we just can't settle on who's going to be our drummer yet. Aside from playing/writing music, I spend at least 10 hours a day listening to music, while working, or just sitting down relaxing.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Cania

Location: Joie de l'Eau, Maice Isle, Gothsylvania, otherwise Blackheath, London, UK
I have a somewhat fickle, though definitely strong, attachment to music. I can go months without actually listening to any, but sometimes I just don't feel "right" until I do. It has the ability to soothe and calm me in a way no other creative medium has. My tastes have changed radically in the space of a few years (like there are barely any female vocalists I can abide now... the two that spring to mind are Siouxsie and Karen Carpenter... I prefer male singers. Though opera is the exception).

I can no longer stand much of the mainstream stuff that is constantly played on the radio over here... to me 95% of it all sounds the same and I find it so boring I no longer listen to it!

Because I worked with kids for nearly two decades, nowadays I can be mostly found sitting in silence as it is something I have rarely had in twenty years. I crave silence and always it is broken by the sounds of people arguing and complaining about things that are trivial and unimportant (like now :( ).

I can see me moving back into a very "classical" phase before too long as sometimes I don't want to hear a human voice if it's been a bad day (like when my sister and her bf are so overly noisy... I'm sick of hearing voices). Only classical music will appease me when I am thoroughly tired of hearing people moan about money or banging on and on about diets and holidays! *sigh* Fortunately I have a lot of classical music I have amassed over the years and a good half of it I have never listened to (it's so old it's on cassette tape! Blast from the past right there :lol: )

Maybe I should listen to music more often... maybe it would help me cope with the increasingly stressful situations that others keep bringing into my quiet and peaceful sphere of existence (situations that are really nothing to do with me and that I want nothing to do with, but I get anyway *pouts* ).

Aka: Elodie Eulie SeaMajic... thank you Nephele (see here).
Aka: Aimee-Jo LaDélicieuse and Amela Joie Délicieuse, thank you again, Nephele :D - (see here and here).

Gothsylvania's ArchPagan... see here.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:26 pm
Malbolge

Music has been and is a major driving force in my life, for sure. I've always felt a deep seated connection to it. Since I got my first fisherprice phonograph as a kid and started listening to a bunch of my parents old LP's. That turned into a walkman which never left my ears, eventually every other portable music machine that came along. My bedroom as a teenager was an 8x10 room with a 400w amp and a pair of Sansui towers. I had to copy everything to cassette because CD's and LP's couldn't be played at max volume without skipping horribly... It was pretty immersive , to say the least...

When I started driving, I found an empty highway at 3am to be another incredibly surreal experience. It was a place where the music could be played and felt at volume; with an open road that goes on forever (Trans-Canada is really long). I've never felt anything like it except perhaps at a live show...

Call me dramatic but virtually every song I know has a meaning and association to people and events. I rarely listen to something where there isn't an associated past. They play out like little music videos in my head. I need to have that connection to a song to really take home. The more dynamic the lyrics and symphonies, the louder and stronger I play it... Ahh it's heaven.

I play guitar around the campfire and fool around with writing my own songs sometimes. I enjoy it, sometimes dump it into garageband.

Music is the language of my soul and would say it is the most consistent driving, inspirational force in my life... not sure there was ever a time it wasnt the case.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:51 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]