View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:46 am




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Bands you hate. 
Author Message
Malbolge
User avatar

Joined: January 2012
Posts: 458
Location: On a quest for vengeance.
Gender: Male
Post Re: Bands you hate.
FairyInBoots,

Whoops! Hahaha. I didn't mean to say that Justin Beiber was a rap artist. That was a mistake in wording. What I meant was that I can't stand Justin Beiber and that rap really isn't my style... I guess that it was an ignorant statement and I apologize for that. There are some good rap artists out there but in most cases, I'm not to fond of it. And I agree with you one-hundred percent on the fact that a lot of the stuff in today's market that is soulless and just plain terrible that are only produced for money. The music industry lacks artists to say the least. Ultimately it comes down to one's opinion and personal tastes. I respect all music from a musical standpoint and I greatly respect everyone's musical tastes and opinions. I am sorry if I offended anyone...

By the way, that song that you called your personal favorite was actually pretty funny and not so bad... But rap really isn't my thing. I like to hear people sing and the core of my favorite songs are guitar based whether it is rock, pop, classical, or some kinds of metal. I can't help it, being a guitarist...

_________________
Goth Name: Ezriel Truemaghic (Thank you very much, Nephele!)

“And so being young and dipped in folly I fell in love with melancholy.”

“Even in the grave, all is not lost.”

-Edgar Allen Poe


Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:07 pm
Profile
Nessus
User avatar

Joined: December 2004
Posts: 2944
Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Bands you hate.
I can respect rap, as I have friends who actually do it, but it's just not to my taste, just like country music, alternative rock, or reggae.
I just haven't found anything about it, music, lyric, aesthetic, or content-wise that I enjoy.
I'm not going to slag off something just because I don't personally enjoy it, however.

.....and Justin Bieber.......
*sigh* to be honest, I didn't even know he/she/it existed until I read someone ranting about him on these forums. Same with Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, etc.
I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio, I just simply don't care about the mainstream entertainment world.
It's not worth my time.
However, hearing he's Canadian does slightly sting a little :oops:

_________________
The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley


Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge
User avatar

Joined: January 2012
Posts: 458
Location: On a quest for vengeance.
Gender: Male
Post Re: Bands you hate.
centurion wrote:
I can respect rap, as I have friends who actually do it, but it's just not to my taste, just like country music, alternative rock, or reggae.
I just haven't found anything about it, music, lyric, aesthetic, or content-wise that I enjoy.
I'm not going to slag off something just because I don't personally enjoy it, however.

.....and Justin Bieber.......
*sigh* to be honest, I didn't even know he/she/it existed until I read someone ranting about him on these forums. Same with Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, etc.
I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio, I just simply don't care about the mainstream entertainment world.
It's not worth my time.
However, hearing he's Canadian does slightly sting a little :oops:

I agree with you. Much of the mainstream stuff isn't worth time. A lot of today's artists lack the passion of music. Most of them are seemingly in for the money...

_________________
Goth Name: Ezriel Truemaghic (Thank you very much, Nephele!)

“And so being young and dipped in folly I fell in love with melancholy.”

“Even in the grave, all is not lost.”

-Edgar Allen Poe


Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:36 pm
Profile
Nessus
User avatar

Joined: December 2004
Posts: 2944
Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Bands you hate.
I guess I just haven't really cared for the past 15 years.

I guess I can thank my teenage years as an angry, hate-anything-that-doesn't-come-from-the-mouth-of-Satan-himself black metal elitist for my lack of exposure to muggle music.

Once I stopped hating everything and everyone else, and began to branch out in my musical tastes, I found I could still choose what I could love, and what was still acceptable to hate ;)

_________________
The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley


Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Maladomini
User avatar

Joined: November 2011
Posts: 848
Location: Lansing, MI
Gender: Male
Post Re: Bands you hate.
CallaWolf wrote:
I actually love rap and the hip hop genre, I'll say it right now. There's a lot in the genre that I really don't like, but there's a lot that I love.

I would say something like "all rap sucks" or "all country sucks" back when I was still in high school, but that was back when I thought that heavy metal was the best genre in the world and if you weren't heavy you weren't talented (which I'll admit now, looking back, I'm embarrassed of)

FairyInBoots, it seems like when it comes to music, you and I more or less think the same, so far :p

Same here. I gave up dismissing entire genres after I got out of high school and a (now ex-)boyfriend introduced me to Public Enemy by way of Evolution Control Committee's "Whipped Cream Mixes" of "Rebel Without a Pause" and "By the Time I Get to Arizona" --which Chuck D is actually very amused by, which I can respect as a fan of "repurposing" for art (it's been happening for at least over a century --see the Dada movement). I can't get into Horrorcore, but if some-one recommended a song or an artist, I might still check it out if I usually trust that friend's tastes.

Alucard392 wrote:
FairyInBoots,

Whoops! Hahaha. I didn't mean to say that Justin Beiber was a rap artist. That was a mistake in wording. What I meant was that I can't stand Justin Beiber and that rap really isn't my style...

I know that. I was just making a joke at what the series of comments made it look like you said. I write novels and once majored in English --finding amusing little jokes like that is a hobby that says more about me as a person than attempting to police grammar.


Alucard392 wrote:
By the way, that song that you called your personal favorite was actually pretty funny and not so bad... But rap really isn't my thing. I like to hear people sing and the core of my favorite songs are guitar based whether it is rock, pop, classical, or some kinds of metal. I can't help it, being a guitarist...

Well, I said a personal favourite --of Chap Hop and Nerdcore, of "_punk"-influenced music, but still pretty far down on the list of "All-time faves". Minor quibble, nothing more. As a singer (classically trained for nearly fifteen years), I do tend to prefer actual singing, by and large, but at this point, I'm long past the need to elevate my personmal tastes by putting down an entire genre, especially when I'm clearly lacking in exposure to more than a radio-sample, which is seldom going to be of the best possible material. The best material of Dexys Midnight Runners was not their radio hit/s (add or subtract the "s" depending on your side of the Atlantic), but they're one of my favourite all-time bands (who also had more than five members in their hey-day).


centurion wrote:
.....and Justin Bieber.......
*sigh* to be honest, I didn't even know he/she/it existed

Please stop.

That is NOT OK to say.

He's very young (he's, what? Just seventeen this year?), and very young men very often look rather effeminate --I could photoshop longer hair onto my father's high school photos (he was sixteen in 1959 --you know, back when young Elvis was regarded as having "long hair") and he'd look very effeminate. I also think seventeen is old enough to know what his gender is so "she" is not acceptable --and even if next year he announced that "she"[1] is transitioning to "Justine Bieber", referring to a human being as "it" is NEVER acceptable.

Don't do that again --I mean, seriously, you'd think people on a GOTH forum would be a little more sensitive to apparent male effeminacy and how this sort of dehumanisation should NEVER be considered acceptable. He's a teenage boy with a trendy haircut --there's nothing hard to understand about that, and nothing worthy of that kind of ungendering and dehumanising commentary. This sort of femphobic speech argueably makes for an unsafe space for gender nonconforming males, TS/ZTG persons, etc.... Please stop. I don't listen to his music, either, but I know well enough to know he doesn't deserve that kind of hate speech directed at him.



1: not "dick quotes", just trying to make a clear conveyance of a hypothetical.

_________________
blogs: Eros Worship ^*^ The Odd Mod Out ^*^
Etsy
Goth points: +110
Goth name: Calhoun Dreamyr


Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:05 am
Profile WWW
Nessus
User avatar

Joined: December 2004
Posts: 2944
Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Bands you hate.
Okay, just to clear it up, and to edit out a further explanation that also came out wrong, let me just say it was a slip of the tongue.....

I meant, I didn't really care about Justin Bieber, whoever/whatever he was before I heard mention of him here.

Pop stars don't exist to me.

_________________
The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley


Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Minauros

Joined: January 2012
Posts: 35
Gender: Female
Post Re: Bands you hate.
Marlyin Manson.

I judge music by bands/songs not genres.

_________________
Autumn Fawn Madtime - Gothic Name


Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:43 am
Profile
Malbolge
User avatar

Joined: January 2012
Posts: 458
Location: On a quest for vengeance.
Gender: Male
Post Re: Bands you hate.
FairyInBoots,

I see... Glad to hear you were just joking. And I understand everything you are saying. Perhaps putting down an entire genre is the best of ideas. Heh heh... And I also agree with you on the hate talk. Even though one can't stand someone's music doesn't give them the right to harass/rant about how much they hate the artist as a person.

_________________
Goth Name: Ezriel Truemaghic (Thank you very much, Nephele!)

“And so being young and dipped in folly I fell in love with melancholy.”

“Even in the grave, all is not lost.”

-Edgar Allen Poe


Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm
Profile
Nessus
User avatar

Joined: December 2004
Posts: 2944
Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Bands you hate.
Yes, and my response had nothing whatsoever to do with gender, or an attack against thereof.
I meant "he/she/it" as more that Justin Bieber and whoever he is, be he man, woman, animal, vegetable, or mineral, doesn't register on my radar at all.

I hope that clears up the horrible misunderstanding of the context of my post.

_________________
The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley


Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge
User avatar

Joined: January 2012
Posts: 458
Location: On a quest for vengeance.
Gender: Male
Post Re: Bands you hate.
centurion wrote:
Yes, and my response had nothing whatsoever to do with gender, or an attack against thereof.
I meant "he/she/it" as more that Justin Bieber and whoever he is, be he man, woman, animal, vegetable, or mineral, doesn't register on my radar at all.

I hope that clears up the horrible misunderstanding of the context of my post.

I never misunderstood your post. When I get annoyed with Justin Beiber, I sometimes feel the same way! I too ignore his existence...but he seems to pop up everywhere...

_________________
Goth Name: Ezriel Truemaghic (Thank you very much, Nephele!)

“And so being young and dipped in folly I fell in love with melancholy.”

“Even in the grave, all is not lost.”

-Edgar Allen Poe


Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 pm
Profile
Maladomini
User avatar

Joined: November 2011
Posts: 848
Location: Lansing, MI
Gender: Male
Post Re: Bands you hate.
centurion wrote:
Yes, and my response had nothing whatsoever to do with gender, or an attack against thereof.
I meant "he/she/it" as more that Justin Bieber and whoever he is, be he man, woman, animal, vegetable, or mineral, doesn't register on my radar at all.

I hope that clears up the horrible misunderstanding of the context of my post.

Except that to any-one with an apparently fluent grasp of English, the name "Justin" is typically a male name[1], so unless otherwise pointed out, there's no reason to assume otherwise, and absolutely no reason to assume it's ever OK to refer to a human being as "it" --that sort of thing is NEVER cool.

I get that you don't think anything of this, cos, as you claim, you know you mean no ill by it --but intent is not magical, people don't automatically assume good intentions when they're there, especially not people who may have a history of only receiving the worst possible intentions from certain words and phrases. As a gender non-conforming male, I have that sort of history; as one with several friends who have a TG identity or TS history, I also understand that there are others with a similar such history of being called a "he/she/it" on web fora and in real life, and I know that all the good intentions in the world can't make being called that hurt any less.


1: I was in high school with a girl whose parents named her Kevin; she went by her middle name since (according to her) age six, and Anne Rice's parents named her Howard --just pointing out that there are exceptions.

_________________
blogs: Eros Worship ^*^ The Odd Mod Out ^*^
Etsy
Goth points: +110
Goth name: Calhoun Dreamyr


Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus
User avatar

Joined: December 2004
Posts: 2944
Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Bands you hate.
I think we're spending a little too much time and emotion over a certain pop-star.

If we want to spend more time talking about this, let's take it to PM.

I end the argument by saying this: gender references, or gender in general, were the farthest things from my mind when I called JB a non-person.

I think others here clearly understand this, and understood the context.

Thread derailment
--END--

_________________
The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley


Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Maladomini
User avatar

Joined: November 2011
Posts: 848
Location: Lansing, MI
Gender: Male
Post Re: Bands you hate.
centurion wrote:
I think we're spending a little too much time and emotion over a certain pop-star.

Except that it's not about Justin Bieber --it's about why you think it's OK to say things that make people feel unsafe and threatened.

centurion wrote:
If we want to spend more time talking about this, let's take it to PM.

Absolutely not. Running away to PMs doesn't address the fact that this affects more people than you and I.

centurion wrote:
I end the argument by saying this: gender references, or gender in general, were the farthest things from my mind when I called JB a non-person.

I think others here clearly understand this, and understood the context.

Yep, context sure is great when you're not the one who feels threatened by certain phrases. Maybe you should get repeatedly called "that he-she-it over there" at the grocery store, at restaurants, even at Goth clubs, and then come back and talk to me about "context".

And really now claiming "every-one else understands me" doesn't justify your actions --nor does it mean I somehow am unable to understand what you're saying. I understand what you're saying perfectly, and I'm telling you that you're still in the wrong. Just because I understand you doesn't mean I have to agree with you -especially when you're wrong.

_________________
blogs: Eros Worship ^*^ The Odd Mod Out ^*^
Etsy
Goth points: +110
Goth name: Calhoun Dreamyr


Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: November 2008
Posts: 7285
Location: New York
Gender: Female
Post Re: Bands you hate.
FairyInBoots wrote:
centurion wrote:
If we want to spend more time talking about this, let's take it to PM.

Absolutely not. Running away to PMs doesn't address the fact that this affects more people than you and I.


If a problem between Goth.net members cannot be resolved amicably on this board, then you take it to PM.

FairyInBoots, centurion explained his intention to you already. It was clearly not centurion's intention to offend, and we all get it that the phrase made you feel "unsafe and threatened" (as you said). You've made your point.

Enough.

-- Nephele


Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:24 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ferrykeizer and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.