View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 am




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind 

What do you believe ETs are?
Extra-terrestrial beings from some other world. 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Inter-dimensional beings from some other plane of existence. 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
They're ScArY dEmOnS!! 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
They're illusions/hallucinations concocted by people with too much time on their hands. 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
I don't know/I have no opinion. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't really care. 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

 UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind 
Author Message
GAF
User avatar

Joined: March 2009
Posts: 9288
Location: Alvin, TX
Gender: Female
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
I might believe in aliens if they anal-probed people besides drunken farmers in the middle of nowhere doing questionable things to livestock. You just don't hear about that shit happening to scientists or university professors. :lol:

I watched a video that showed exactly how crop circles are formed. Surprisingly low-tech. Hell, I could go do it to my neighbor's yard right now. His grass is about high enough.

I will remain a skeptic until there is something truly unexplainable by Science, science dammit! :mrgreen:

_________________
Merciful Shadows

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq


Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:55 pm
Profile YIM
Cania
User avatar

Joined: November 2010
Posts: 2291
Location: Odessa, Texas
Gender: Male
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
thetragicclown wrote:
Agent Bat wrote:
I have, over the years, become convinced that EBEs do not originate from other planets, but rather from other dimensions. What do you think

The Lovecraft-fan in me cackles with mad, unrepentant glee at the thought. I mean, what if all those disc and cigar shaped objects sighted over the years were not interstellar craft? Or even craft at all. Perhaps they are merely shadows cast into the third dimension by fourth-dimensional creatures, so vast and incomprehensible our limited senses can only perceive a fraction of their magnificence. Much like how Mr Square perceives the Sphere in Edwin A Abbot's Flatland.

I was an avid amateur UFO scholar in my younger days, having read "Alien Liaison" and played the hell out of the UFO/XCOM series. However years of crushing disappointment due to a lack of irrefutable evidence (despite advances in the sophistication and ubiquity of recording equipment), and the growing sense of cynicism that comes with age, have dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.


Your rather Cthulian thoughts above actually match my beliefs regarding the UFO phenomenon very closely.

I recognize, and sympathize with, that cynicism. I haven't totally given up my enthusiasm over the subject just yet. I do still believe the phenomenon exists, and that it is something beyond our current scientific understanding. There is some scant evidence that the darn things do exist; enough to get actual scientists - such as astronomers Hynek and Vallée and physicists Bruce Maccabee and Harold Puthoff (though Puthoff recently became a scientologist, so that diminishes his credibility somewhat), all of whom have been employed by/involved with the US Government due to their interest in UFOs - to go from being skeptics to believers (or, in the case of Maccabee and Puthoff, from being believers to stark raving UFO-nuts). While my own excitement over the subject has diminished significantly - yeah, I used to be much worse - it hasn't gone away.


Wolfmammy wrote:
I might believe in aliens if they anal-probed people besides drunken farmers in the middle of nowhere doing questionable things to livestock. You just don't hear about that shit happening to scientists or university professors. :lol:


Actually, it's not just drunken farmers who are abducted. (I realize you probably meant that as an exaggeration, but it's one I feel obligated to debunk because the evidence - namely, dozens of reported abductions every year, numbers that have actually shown an increase over the years - proves otherwise. People from all walks of life report alien abductions. The first reported abductee, Antonio Villas Boas, sort of fits the "backwater farmboy" mold, except that he's from Brazil, so "redneck" doesn't exactly describe him. The first couple to popularize the phenomenon with their abduction story four years later - Betty and Barney Hill - didn't exactly fit the "drunken redneck" mold at all. They were a mixed-race couple, a rarity when the abduction occurred in 1961: Betty was a social worker and Barney was a postman. Both were community leaders and NAACP members, and Barney was a member of the local board of the US Civil Rights Commission. Whitley Streiber, author of Communion (his allegedly non-fiction retelling of his experience), ironically enough, was a horror novel author who wrote about werewolves. Brigitte Grant is a British make-up artist. Herbert Schirmer was a Nabraska police officer. David Liebe Hart is a well-known actor and puppeteer who has appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live!; he claimed to have been abducted at an early age. Robert Taylor? A respected forester from Scotland whose close encounter is known as the "Livingston Incident". Peter Khoury, a Lebanese resident of Australia, wasn't exactly "abducted" per se, but his infamous experience was no less bizarre. And these are just the notable cases, the ones that stand out from others more. There are many, many more cases similar to this. Again, it's not all a gaggle of rednecks from the sticks. In fact, the early cases of UFO sightings and abductions were typically average American citizens, holding down decent and respectable jobs, living in the suburbs in small "nuclear family" units.

The people who've studied UFO abductions aren't exactly nutjobs, either. Would you consider a Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer and Harvard-trained psychiatrist a nut? How about a history professor? Then John Edward Mack, David M. Jacobs are absolutely certifiable; their works helped popularize the phenomenon and bring it some measure of credibility.

The "redneck farmer" stereotype came about thanks to the Travis Walton abduction case; you've probably seen the film version, Fire in the Sky. To be fair, though, Walton wasn't a farmer out fucking sheep; he was a logger who was on the job with a logging crew when he was abducted. Ever since that case, the Media has hyped up the image of the "back-woods, blue-collar, redneck UFO abductee". Guess which stories get reported most? Charles Hickson and Calvin Parker were two such blue-collar shipyard workers out fishing when they were abducted near Pascagoula, Mississippi. The infamous Allagash Abductions? Four guys out camping. Ain't nothin' more blue-collar than that! You see this treatment even in stories of UFO abductees from other countries: Jan Wolski was a farmer out riding in a horse-drawn buggy near Emilcin, Poland when he was abducted; Meng Zhaoguo was a logger working at Wuchang, Heilongjiang in China; Dionisio Llanca was a truck driver making a run to Río Gallegos in Argentina when he was "taken".

The stereotype makes sense, if you think about it. Look at what reporting a UFO abduction does to a person's life. If you were a wealthy, affluent person whose livelihood depended upon your social, political or business connections, do you really want to fuck all that up by telling people that the saucer-men were poking about your anus, or are you going to keep that quiet so all your friends don't abandon you? If you're an MD, do you really believe all of your patients are going to remain your patients if you go public with your story of alien-rape? What if you're a psychologist? Wouldn't people start saying, "The shrink is nuts!" if you told anyone about your "experiences"? How about a politician? A statesman can have his shot at the presidency totally ruined just by screaming in excitement during a campaign rally; what do you think telling people about his "intimate encounter" with E.B.E.s would do to a person's shot at the Oval Office? Of course a scientist, a businessman or a politician isn't going to report their UFO abduction story; they've got too much to lose!

But a farmer? A trucker? A logger? A fisherman? A dock worker? What've they got to lose? Are people really going to stop giving you truck hauls or pizza delivery jobs if you claim to have been abducted by a UFO? Only if you put it on your resume. Other than that, what've you got to lose by coming forward with your story?

I would like to point out: no, I do not believe every UFO sighting/abduction story out there. For example, I find the stories related by the most celebrated UFO abductee, Whitley Streiber, to be most dubious. (Think about it: he wrote horror and science fiction before becoming an abductee. Coming up with a fantastic-sounding abduction scenario wouldn't be hard for him, would it? Hell, a book he and Art Bell wrote became The Day After Tomorrow, so I definitely think he's nuts.) What I'm saying here is that UFO abductions aren't just something that happens only to inbred yokels.

Quote:
I watched a video that showed exactly how crop circles are formed. Surprisingly low-tech. Hell, I could go do it to my neighbor's yard right now. His grass is about high enough.

I will remain a skeptic until there is something truly unexplainable by Science, science dammit! :mrgreen:


The crop circles hoax is an old one. I remember seeing vids on how it was done back when I was in high school. Hell, a song was even made about the fiasco. Doesn't necessarily mean UFO sightings or UFO abductions/encounters are all frauds.

_________________
--------------------------------------------------------
Goth name: Baradon Icejette (courtesy Nephele).

I have a website where I press words.
I also book face.
I'm all a-twitter.
And I tumble.
Plus, I'm a deviant! ;)


Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:17 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
GAF
User avatar

Joined: March 2009
Posts: 9288
Location: Alvin, TX
Gender: Female
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
I still see no actual evidence to make me believe in UFOs. There's about as much evidence of UFOs/alien abduction as there is of God, in my opinion. I will believe in neither until they can be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. There are many people who are highly educated(even Pulitzer & Nobel Prize winning) who I think ar nuts for some of the things tey believe in. Education and winning prizes doesn't make peope any less likely to be deluded.

If there really were that many people getting truly abducted by aliens/ET whathaveyou, there would be some kind of evidence after it happening to so many. Many people claim to have seen the Loch Ness monster and Big Foot, yet with all of our fancy new technologies no one has ever captured proof. It would be easy to prove their existence if they were here.

When some people go through deep hypnosis they are highly suseptible to outside suggestion. I used to be an avid reader of ET&supernatural phenomena, but after a while I realized that it's hokum. And yes, I was being facetious in my first reply, but is certainly not an uneducated ribbing. ;)

ETA~ Crazy people can win Prizes, apparently. Learn something new every day.

THey can also win Pulitzers before they turn crazy.

_________________
Merciful Shadows

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq


Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:50 am
Profile YIM
Cania
User avatar

Joined: November 2010
Posts: 2291
Location: Odessa, Texas
Gender: Male
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
Wolfmammy wrote:
I still see no actual evidence to make me believe in UFOs. There's about as much evidence of UFOs/alien abduction as there is of God, in my opinion. I will believe in neither until they can be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. There are many people who are highly educated(even Pulitzer & Nobel Prize winning) who I think ar nuts for some of the things tey believe in. Education and winning prizes doesn't make peope any less likely to be deluded.

If there really were that many people getting truly abducted by aliens/ET whathaveyou, there would be some kind of evidence after it happening to so many. Many people claim to have seen the Loch Ness monster and Big Foot, yet with all of our fancy new technologies no one has ever captured proof. It would be easy to prove their existence if they were here.

When some people go through deep hypnosis they are highly suseptible to outside suggestion. I used to be an avid reader of ET&supernatural phenomena, but after a while I realized that it's hokum. And yes, I was being facetious in my first reply, but is certainly not an uneducated ribbing. ;)

ETA~ Crazy people can win Prizes, apparently. Learn something new every day.

THey can also win Pulitzers before they turn crazy.


I'll agree that the vast majority of UFO sightings/abduction reports have either very little or absolutely no evidence whatsoever (meaning that the reports are probably either the products of mentally unstable minds or of people seeking attention in what has to be the most self-destructive manner possible), but there are a handful of cases with enough evidence to say that something is happening, and it's not just in people's imaginations. Rifling through the old Blue Book files shows you that much: tons of reports that can easily be explained away scientifically (or with common sense), and those few occasional reports that make you pause and think, "What the flying fuck??". It's those reports that make me believe something is happening that is beyond mere human imagination.

Like I've stated before, I don't think it's extraterrestrial at all.

_________________
--------------------------------------------------------
Goth name: Baradon Icejette (courtesy Nephele).

I have a website where I press words.
I also book face.
I'm all a-twitter.
And I tumble.
Plus, I'm a deviant! ;)


Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Nessus
User avatar

Joined: February 2002
Posts: 3691
Location: Eep's couch
Gender: None specified
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
Agent Bat wrote:
Rifling through the old Blue Book files shows you that much: tons of reports that can easily be explained away scientifically (or with common sense)

Or with this handy chart.

_________________
V4VG.net - A British Gaming Blog


Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm
Profile
Cania
User avatar

Joined: November 2010
Posts: 2291
Location: Odessa, Texas
Gender: Male
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
thetragicclown wrote:
Agent Bat wrote:
Rifling through the old Blue Book files shows you that much: tons of reports that can easily be explained away scientifically (or with common sense)

Or with this handy chart.


:lol: Perfect! Love the caption below the actual weather balloon!

_________________
--------------------------------------------------------
Goth name: Baradon Icejette (courtesy Nephele).

I have a website where I press words.
I also book face.
I'm all a-twitter.
And I tumble.
Plus, I'm a deviant! ;)


Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Maladomini
User avatar

Joined: December 2009
Posts: 636
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: Male
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
Agent Bat wrote:

For me, going by the research I've done over the years, I cannot say with certainty that UFOs and EBEs are purely non-existent. They do exist. I believe there is much evidence of this. However, given the fantastic distances that an extraterrestrial would have to traverse just to make it from wherever they claim to be from (say, Urantia or Perelandra, whichever you prefer) to arrive at Earth, I doubt beings of such technological sophistication would arrive here just to carve up harmless cattle, experiment on the local sentient life forms, give us nightmares, steal our sperm/ova or tell us to disarm our nukes and join hands with the rest of the "galactic brotherhood". That simply doesn't seem scientifically plausible to me.


I wan as avid reader of UFO's/Ancient Astronauts and the ilk when I was younger. It was really exciting stuff. But, I came to agree wholeheartedly with your statement above. Even the venerable Charles Fort basically said the same thing. He noted that if there are aliens among us, they would more likely be here to harvest us like an exotic menu item than anything else. His explanation of why "they" have not contacted us "officially" rings far more true than any of the "guardian angel" junk. To paraphrase Mr. Fort, do we negotiate with chickens?
I also agree with Wolfmammy that for all the supposed extraterrestrial (or whatever)activity that has taken place on earth for for eons, there is an amazing lack of real evidence. It's 99.9 percent hearsay, interpretation, or extrapolation.
For the very few cases that are plausible, I agree that they are unlikely to be from other galaxies. Other dimensions or time-travelers are more plausible to me.


Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Cania
User avatar

Joined: March 2010
Posts: 1475
Location: Italy
Gender: Female
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
Hey B, have you ever heard of Obama being in touch or being about to get in touch with aliens? I found some information about it on the net and for some wicked reason I could swear I heard it in italian news...

-- 23 Mar 2011, 18:10 --

Calliope Aisha Cassandra wrote:
Hey J, have you ever heard of Obama being in touch or being about to get in touch with aliens? I found some information about it on the net and for some wicked reason I could swear I heard it in italian news...


-- 23 Mar 2011, 18:11 --

right... as if it was necessary to repeat it... -.-"

_________________
Pixie name: Antara Airië Milkmaid

Minnie's virtual daughter and SirVigil's sister

adopted by Minnie and Midi and "honorary Texan" as bestowed upon me by Agent B. Plus I have a demon :P


Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 am
Profile
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
Actually, I have a suspicion that he is a... No. I won't go there. :wink:


Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:20 pm
Cania
User avatar

Joined: November 2010
Posts: 2291
Location: Odessa, Texas
Gender: Male
Post Re: UFOs, EBEs, PAS and Close Encounters of the 4th Kind
Minnie d'Arc wrote:
Actually, I have a suspicion that he is a... No. I won't go there. :wink:


Alienated from his constituents, maybe, but I wouldn't call him an actual alien. That'd be an insult to extra-terrestrial biological entities and inter-dimensional beings everywhere, and I just will not allow that. :p

_________________
--------------------------------------------------------
Goth name: Baradon Icejette (courtesy Nephele).

I have a website where I press words.
I also book face.
I'm all a-twitter.
And I tumble.
Plus, I'm a deviant! ;)


Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:37 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.