View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:42 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 It's Time for Jihad! [Star Trek-related] 

Who was the better Captain?
Captain James Tiberius Kirk (The Original Series) 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation) 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Captain Benjamin Lafayette Sisko (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Captain Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Captain Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
BONUS: Alternate Captain James T. Kirk (J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek") 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

It's Time for Jihad! [Star Trek-related] 
Malbolge

Post Re: It's Time for Jihad! [Star Trek-related]
No one voted for Janeway or Archer LOL

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:44 am
It's a bit of a shame about no-one voting for Jonathan Archer. I think if Enterprise had had as long a run as TNG, DS9 or Voyager things might have been different. Some of the situations in which Archer found himself in the Expanse, and the resultant decisions, were hideously tough. He found solutions which even Kirk might have blanched at, in the name of a dream, an ideal, with no safety net of a Federation to fall back on.

He was a great captain.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 am
Cania

Lachrymose wrote:
All merely re-tellings of the Epics of Kirk....rehash for the youngsters. Classic stories shot-up with steroids. Feh!

Do explain. How was "The Best and Both Worlds" a re-telling of a Kirk epic? Do give a point-by-point analysis, please.

I have a website where I press words.
I also book face.
I'm all a-twitter.
And I tumble.
Plus, I'm a deviant! ;)

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Cania

So they got one. Whooo-hoo look at us, we wrote one script...wee-hee hee.

Agent Bat wrote:
Lachrymose wrote:
All merely re-tellings of the Epics of Kirk....rehash for the youngsters. Classic stories shot-up with steroids. Feh!

Do explain. How was "The Best and Both Worlds" a re-telling of a Kirk epic? Do give a point-by-point analysis, please.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:52 am
Malbolge

Minnie d'Arc wrote:
It's a bit of a shame about no-one voting for Jonathan Archer. I think if Enterprise had had as long a run as TNG, DS9 or Voyager things might have been different. Some of the situations in which Archer found himself in the Expanse, and the resultant decisions, were hideously tough. He found solutions which even Kirk might have blanched at, in the name of a dream, an ideal, with no safety net of a Federation to fall back on.

He was a great captain.

Maybe so, but IMO the show itself sucked except for the "temporal cold war" episodes.....

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:58 am
But we're voting on the captain, not the show... :wink: :lol:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:02 am
Cania

Lachrymose wrote:
So they got one. Whooo-hoo look at us, we wrote one script...wee-hee hee.

Agent Bat wrote:
Lachrymose wrote:

"The Best of Both Worlds" (2-parts). "Darmok". "Chain of Command" (2-parts). "The Inner Light". "I, Borg". "All Good Things..." "Star Trek: First Contact". And those were just the few I came up with off the top of my head.

Sure, the first two seasons of TNG were Kirk re-hashes. Then Season 3 hit. Yar died. The Borg were introduced. Roddenberry died and new blood took over the series. TNG came into its own. Then we had DS9, which was not a damn thing like Kirk's series. From Season 3 of TNG to Season 7 were four years of non-Kirk and non-Kirk-like stories. DS9 had seven years (minus "Trials and Tribble-ations", the anniversary episode). Since these overlapped, we'll say this was seven or eight years of stories not like Kirk at all.

Dude, seriously, claiming that everything Picard, Sisko, Janeway or Archer did were just re-hashes of Kirk is pure, unadulterated, damn-fool stubbornness. Go back and watch the series yourself to see what I mean.

Or, you could do as I asked and prove me wrong. Point-by-point. I dare you.

zoldos wrote:
No one voted for Janeway or Archer LOL

Minnie d'Arc wrote:

He was a great captain.

I agree with your first statements; Archer was unorthodox - in good ways and bad - and Enterprise probably would've been remembered as an awesome show, had they had more time to tell more stories and kept Manny Coto as the lead writer from then on, as was planned. I wouldn't say he was a "great" captain, though; that's a bit of a stretch, to me. Sure, Enterprise had some damn good episodes - "Damage", "Breaking the Ice" and "Regeneration" immediately spring to mind - but they also had a slew of stinkers during Seasons 1 and 2 - piss-poor episodes such as, say, "Acquisition" and "Dear Doctor", which (while hilarious, in "Acquisition's" case) were about as close to unintentional character assassination as a writer could get without pasting a "kick me" sign on the back of every Enterprise blue jumpsuit. Hell, Chuck Sonnenberg makes a damn good case that Archer (a.k.a. "Dutchess") is really a street-crazy Starfleet hired last-minute because their new starship desperately needed a commanding officer ASAP. (I realize that isn't the truth - Archer had been working on the Warp 5 engine since his father first thought it up - but damn, if Sonnenberg isn't persuasive...)

Please don't misunderstand me! It isn't Archer! It's the writers (specifically the show-runners, Rick Berman & Brannon Braga)! They wrote Archer - hell, they wrote all the Enterprise characters this way (example: here's Phlox's character assassination)! - as morons and hypocrites (for example: compare Archer's decision in "Fortunate Son" to his decision in "Silent Enemy"), when they weren't just writing outright awful episodes (again, "Acquisition") or outright offensive episodes (like "Unexpected", which starts with the interesting idea of a pregnant male, quickly slid into a horrible episode where somebody fucking rapes "Trip" and it's played off for laughs). Sure, there were occasional good episodes - once again, I point to "Regeneration" (which was a damn good sequel to "Star Trek: First Contact". The series really didn't get better until the war stories from Season 3 (beginning with "Anzati Prime", which were inspired by the superb handling of the Dominion War from Deep Space Nine, though - like GWB - they rushed into that story without an exit strategy and had to leave the ending up to poor Manny Coto to deal with before he could get to writing his brilliant episodes), and hiring Manny Coto as the series' new lead writer for Season 4 only improved the series moreso.

zoldos wrote:
Maybe so, but IMO the show itself sucked except for the "temporal cold war" episodes.....

Exactly. Before "Anzati Prime", Enterprise was absolutely horrible. After "Anzati Prime", though, the series got much better. It's too bad most of the viewers left after the first two seasons; modern Trek series usually take two seasons to really get going, but I think all the hype about Enterprise being "new and improved!" from the get-go, then disappointing Trekkies by not being so just left too many feeling jaded toward the franchise as a whole.

Minnie d'Arc wrote:
But we're voting on the captain, not the show... :wink: :lol:

Ah, but can we, given how the series and their starring captains are so intrinsically tied? :D

I have a website where I press words.
I also book face.
I'm all a-twitter.
And I tumble.
Plus, I'm a deviant! ;)

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:52 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Cania

Agent Bat wrote:
Dude, seriously, claiming that everything Picard, Sisko, Janeway or Archer did were just re-hashes of Kirk is pure, unadulterated, damn-fool stubbornness. Go back and watch the series yourself to see what I mean.

Got ya.....;) Sorry man, I just couldn't resist doing a Finnegan on ya!

I would happily serve under either of them.

Live long and eat chocolate mini eggs!

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:34 pm
Malbolge

I admit, I watched Enterprise until the second season premiere. But that episode was very disappointing. The whole future is all fucked up, and the best thing they can come up with is that future guy makes some device he learned how to do in kindergarden and bam, everything is fixed. blah hehehehe

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:21 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4