View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:53 am

Search for:
 [ 12 posts ] 
 Goth Rites of Passage 
Minauros

Post Goth Rites of Passage
There's a lot of joking in the subculture about Goth Points and Baby Bats, and a lot of times, it feels surprisingly relevant. There were times growing up and growing into my own Gothdom where I acknowledged that I still felt like a Baby Bat.

I realized there are certain events that make us feel like we finally graduated from that initial level, whether it's your first pair of boots or the first time you meet a kindred spirit.

Yesterday night felt like a coming of age for me when I found myself attending a Peter Murphy concert and feeling like I had found a safe haven in a room full of hair taller than the stage and grinning faces. It was seeing my Not-A-Goth boyfriend stare at the band in awe, admitting finally that he felt a sense of security there too. The crowning moment for me was standing outside, passing my Al Capone to an older woman in black lace, and she told me that she could tell I was "in black for the long haul."

Has anyone else had the feeling that they had finally escaped the Baby Bat Cave? Is there anything you'd consider a Goth Rite of Passage?

Enjoys avoiding sunlight and acquiring coffee.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:29 pm
Malbolge

Post Re: Goth Rites of Passage
There is one, and only one rite of passage.

That is the moment when you become self-aware of an important change. That moment when you realize you forgot all about looking/being Goth a long time ago. That moment when you can look back and see that at some murky point it just became the way you are.

Everyone else was just getting in the way.

Merely that, and nothing more.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:12 pm
Administrator

For me, it was a similar experience to Missing-Mile's. My first visit to a club's goth night (that I had to drive 2 1/2 hours to attend) made me realize that these were the people I had something in common with. It felt like coming home, and gave me the initiative to consciously live my life as a goth every day.

"The Dead Travel Fast." ~ Bram Stoker, Dracula's Guest

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:46 am
Minauros

Oidhche-Yorath wrote:

That is the moment when you become self-aware of an important change. That moment when you realize you forgot all about looking/being Goth a long time ago. That moment when you can look back and see that at some murky point it just became the way you are.

I think you mean the moment you actually realize you want to become involved with the subculture.
I'm asking about the moment when you feel accepted into the community, that moment where you not only accept yourself but you feel like others have accepted it as well.

-- Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 pm --

Oidhche-Yorath wrote:

I think you mean the moment you actually realize you want to become involved with the subculture.
I'm asking about the moment when you feel accepted into the community, that moment where you not only accept yourself but you feel like others have accepted it as well.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:52 pm
Malbolge

No, I meant exactly what I stated.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:04 pm
Stygia

Oidhche-Yorath wrote:

And stated very well, I agree with you.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

Noise! wrote:
Oidhche-Yorath wrote:

And stated very well, I agree with you.

yes.

-- Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:56 am --

Missing-Mile wrote:
Has anyone else had the feeling that they had finally escaped the Baby Bat Cave? Is there anything you'd consider a Goth Rite of Passage?

At some point in the future you may consider another event or realization to have more weight or meaning. If you are happy with what has happened, and at this time that is your rite, then more power to you.

I don't remember any specific moment but agree more with the other post.

Hac in hora
cine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:27 pm
Minauros

I will admit, I misread Oidheche the first time I read through. I apologize for this.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:32 pm
Avernus

I have only recently attained consciousness out of the black mire of videogame and monster cans; so I am certain that I am still a spooky kid. But, I'm hopeful ...

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:15 pm
Stygia

For me it was when I began to love myself. Not in a narcissistic way. I simply loved who I was. I loved the way I looked and I felt content and secure, even when I just threw on a shirt and some jeans with no makeup and went down to the store, it didn't change how I felt to when I was all dressed up for a night out. I just felt right, felt "me", and I loved it.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 am
Maladomini

I'm thinking in the same line, that it has everything to do with when you stop trying. When you simply feel comfortable with the way you are and comfortable in identifying as goth even when you're not all dressed up. When 'goth' becomes 'normal' and you don't even have to - or feel the need to - think about it.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Avernus

I would say that my personal rite of passage was when I started attending university. I have considered myself goth since I was a child, like around 13 years old, but everyone seemed to find it weird. My parents did not even want me to listen to sisters of mercy for example, let alone dressing goth. During high school I started learning more things about the whole goth subculture (literature, story, music, fashion..) but I kept all these things to myself. When last September I started university I also quit hiding my goth traits. Now I dress in a more goth way, even if nothing extreme, and I talk about people more freely about my interests when it comes about it. I don't go around screaming "oh, I am so goth", but I don't hide it either.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]