View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:07 am

Search for:
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Being more goth? 
Phlegethos

Post Being more goth?
I've always had an affinity for the goth style, but grew up very religious and never really pursued it. Now, I'm an atheist and looking to increase my goth quotient. I was curious what suggestion those in the group might have? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

Post Re: Being more goth?
Vague answer, but...
Just explore, look into various things, see whether you like them or not.
Playfully step out of your comfort zone. It's not serious! And anyway, there are no such things as goth points*.
Some you won't like, or you'll feel they aren't you.
Other things you'll love or find growing on you. Much like a hard-to-kill fungus.

*So says the High Goth Cabal, (which doesn't exist).

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm
Maladomini

Igorina hit the nail on the head, playfully step out of your comfort zone. Don't go so far where you're thinking "I hate this, but I gotta do it for the cause" because that's not what it's about. It's about finding something new that you may have never seen, heard, or worn because it may (or may not) be of interest of you.

I had to "force" myself to listen to some goth bands that I had never heard before, just to see it I'd like it. When I say "force" I don't mean that I listen to stuff I hated because I thought it would make me cool, I mean just sit down for fifteen minutes, look for something you hadn't heard before, listen to a number of songs, then judge whether I like it or not. If I didn't like it, then I'd just pass on it and not really force myself to keep listening to it, if I did like it, I'd listen to it for a while.

Just play around and try not to take it serious. Getting the ball rolling, I'll admit, is the hard part, but once you have it rolling it's not too bad.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:56 am
Nessus

Location: British Columbia, Canada (now) Osaka, Japan (previously)
Since the supernatural and the occult are very prominent affectations in this subculture, it may be a bit trying if your atheist convictions are hardline skeptic/agnostic.

Asfor beig "more goth", here ya go :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgoth

The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 am
Profile WWW
Cania

Location: Joie de l'Eau, Maice Isle, Gothsylvania, otherwise Blackheath, London, UK
Good advice above :D

You just have to find the things you like, that resonate deep inside. Once you are able to identify those things the rest just falls into place (well... it did for me, of course everyone is different).

I'm agnostic myself and apart from jewellery choices being more limited (as I really cannot wear crosses/crucifixes no matter how beautiful they are anymore) I haven't really found it all that difficult. Then again I believe in the supernatural and I'm pagan so that may be why.

Funnily enough I found myself becoming more goth when I stopped trying to be goth and just became myself... I suppose I was more goth inside than I thought I was. I had to pretend to be 'normal' ;)

Aka: Elodie Eulie SeaMajic... thank you Nephele (see here).
Aka: Aimee-Jo LaDélicieuse and Amela Joie Délicieuse, thank you again, Nephele :D - (see here and here).

Gothsylvania's ArchPagan... see here.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:15 pm
Minauros

1) Knowledge is power, liebschen. Learn as much as you can, so that you have a base of knowledge to draw from, and make decisions based on. Read EVERYTHING YOU CAN!! You don't have to like or dislike anything, just to earn Goth points. Take Goth music for example. The Gothiest guy I ever met in the flesh listend to nothing but Chuck Berry and old blues records. There are so many takes on Gothness that it would be pointless to say "this is Goth but that isn't".

2) Follow your instincts. If it feels Gothic to you, then that's all that really matters. Trust yourself to decide, based on 1) above, if something Gothic or not.

3) Have fun. There's no point in doing anything if you're not having fun.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 pm
Malbolge

Reply to centurion's comment:

Maybe you could find some Flying Spaghetti Monster bling in place of the cliche cross/ occult symbol jewelry that shows up so often. :lol:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:26 am
Nessus

That would definitely go with MY occult convictions :lol:

I dunno, I was drawn into the subculture due to my own love of the supernatural and it was just kind of natural for me.

Anyhow, to be serious:
You just need inspiration...... surround yourself with it.

There's lots of dark music out there that now, due to the internet, is much more accessible to the public now than ever before. Just go on Youtube or last.fm and peruse through all things goth/darkwave/death rock/industrial/post-punk/glam/black metal/death metal/doom metal/dark ambient/noise/experimental/neoclassical/medieval/neofolk etc. etc. etc. until you find something you like. There's now more online mailorder sites than ever before.
Dark art? There's online galleries all over the place. You can go with some of the main gothic art granddaddies, such as Bosch, Kittelsen, Giger, Beksinski, Witkin, and browse Deviantart and other related sites. There's a Facebook page called The Macabre and Beautifully Grotesque devoted to gothic visual inspiration.
Fashion? Just look around in said sites, look at pictures of gothic events such as Wave Gotik Treffen or Mera Luna, just to get some ideas and again, find something you like that suits you, then shop around in thrift shops(or if your lucky to have a gothic clothing shop near you, and the cash to dish out, go there). Even characters in movies, musicians, models, or mythical figures can be great inspirations.
Movies..... well, there's a ton of them out there. David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, Tim Burton, Clive Barker, old black n white films, or anything within the horror/fantasy/science fiction genre is acceptable. Movies such as Nekromantic or Cannibal Holocaust are not for the faint of heart, or initiate.... take your time before exposing yourself to one of those.....
Books...... go to your bookstore and go nuts. Again, influential writers like Lovecraft, Poe, Shelley, Byron, Kafka, etc. are all good. Also, anything in the horror/fantasy/SF department. Occult writers like Crowley and Spare. Don't limit yourself to one genre....

Other than that..... travel, go to a theatre performance, visit a graveyard or ancient castle, spend time in nature, visit a haunted area, see a butoh performance, or simply go to a club......

Anything to get your well of darkly creative inspiration flowing.......

The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.

- Aleister Crowley

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Minauros

It may also help to look at old pictures of goths and other black clad weirdos from the seventies and eighties. Seeing where goth has been can help you decide what you want to do with it. I can suggest tumblr blogs on this subject if you wish, but please beware of some snobbery on them, and remember there aren't a lot of rules n the subculture.

As for music, don't be afraid of genres and artists that are merely 'gothish' instead of capital G Goth. Exploring New Wave, Black Metal, Punk, Glam Rock and the like can also give you a sense of 'where' goth is on the spectrum of things.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Nessus

Yeah, I wouldn't take the "purist" attitude of the subculture too seriously. Since the beginning, it's flourished by people bringing in all sorts of inspiration and influences.

You'll still find snobs and other dickheads who won't talk to you if you listen to metal, but you'll find people like that all over in every scene and community.

Just be open-minded, research your stuff, and treat others with respect, and you'll be treated likewise(by respectable people, that is).

- Aleister Crowley

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Minauros

centurion wrote:
You'll still find snobs and other dickheads who won't talk to you if you listen to metal...

...and just as many snobs and dickheads who WILL ONLY talk to you if you listen to metal...oh wait a minute, that was high school...LOL!!

Seriously, the so-called Gothic themes...alienation, death, lonliness, etc. ...have all been dealt with in bombastic fashion by metal bands. I offer the following, highly Gothic poem:

"Still falls the rain, the veils of darkness shroud the blackened trees, which, contorted by some unseen violence, shed their leaves and bend their tired boughs toward a grey earth of severed bird wings. Among the grasses, poppies bleed before a gesticulating death, and young rabbits, born dead in traps, stand motionless, as though guarding the silence that surrounds and threatens to engulf all who would listen..."

Bauhaus? Siouxie and the Banshees? Joy Division? The Cure? The Cult? Nah, that's from the liner notes of the first Black Sabbath album, released in 1970. If memory serves, before 1970, there really wasn't any Goth anything, just dark punks and death rockers, if that.

My point is that what feels Goth to you, and what constitutes Goth to you, is yours alone. Don't let someone else tell you what's Goth and what isn't, or that you're no really Goth if you don't listen to/ read/ eat/ drink/ dress like this or that thing, this or that person.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:46 pm
Cocky Canard

I remember the horror, fantasy, supernatural & occult elements were generally taken with tongue firmly in cheek... mostly. i.e. your depth of feeling mixed in with plenty of ambiguity and a not inconsiderate campy sense of theatricality. YMMV, whatever works for you.

Jereth Magas, Gothsylvania Minister of Unnatural Resources.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

centurion wrote:
Since the supernatural and the occult are very prominent affectations in this subculture, it may be a bit trying if your atheist convictions are hardline skeptic/agnostic.
You know, I've come across dozens of gamers and metalheads tangentially attached to the goth scene who were very into occultist stuff, but with the exception of one relatively high-profile musician I can think of (who I suspect is doing it because he thinks he has to or nobody will take him seriously) I've come across very few people who actually bother with anything other than some version of lazy agnosticism, hardline anti-theism or a mainstream religion. I guess we lack romance here or something.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

well, you can't make youself a believer in anything...:P

Wed May 08, 2013 12:21 pm
Nessus

Well, having heard my closest friend refer to me recently as a "nutjob", I think I'll keep my deluded mouth shut when in the presence of stubborn agnostics from now on...... :|

Centurion....... whose few friends I've got left I'm still trying to lose.
Home sweet home indeed :lol:

- Aleister Crowley

Wed May 08, 2013 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next