View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:46 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Goth Clichés 
Stygia

Post Re: Goth Clichés
The stereotypes I fulfill are:

1. I have a spiky hoodie. I love it, it's cool it makes me feel powerful (even more so than I already feel) amongst other clothes that could be considered Gothic.
2. I like black and blood red, but that's personal preference, nothing to do with the fact I love Gothic things.
3. I like bands like Cradle of Filth etc.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:26 am
Dis

I feel like a cliche everytime I listen to Voltaire!

I also own hard cover books of P.B. Shelley's poetry which I carry around with me, so gothic poetry? Check!
Hanging out in graveyards? Check!
Black clothing, sheets, towels, curtains? Check!
My favorite band is The Cure!

And my personal favorite goth cliche which I embody... I can survived on coffee, dark chocolate, and clove cigarettes alone! (for a while any way ^^)

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:50 pm
Administrator

My biggest goth cliché is that I refer to Edgar Allan Poe as "The Master."

Poe was the favorite poet of my gothic childhood, and I don't think that I will ever outgrow him or stop referring to him as "The Master" (even though I also have a lot of other favorite writers who could be described as "gothic.")

Among actors of the macabre, I also fondly refer to Vincent Price as "The Master."

-- Nephele

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:47 am
Maladomini

-Ever since a youth, I've worn dark clothes willingly and my closet is filled with black shirts, some blood red, and maybe only two or three whites, and I usually wear black pants. Though I must admit, I do wear jeans at times.

-If there is an option to buy in black, I will buy in black. Hands down and no questions asked
-I love horror movies
-I like dreary overcast days and like it when it's cold. It puts me at total ease.
-I stick to horror and dark thriller novels.
-if it's spooky, even if it's a light hearted non-threatening spooky, I'll probably like it.

It wasn't until the past year or so I've connected better to the goth-y style of things than my metal head style of my high school years. I guess it may be me being more self aware than before.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:23 am
Minauros

Haha good thread...

Hmm when I was in the UK:

Graveyards - not at night, I didn't fancy getting a smack from the local ruffians, but in the daytime for photography (I got odd looks but hey - great photos)
Candles and also incense
Black, but that's a bit of a given
Reading Bram Stokers' Dracula, Poe etc

In NZ:
I have my curtains closed in the day because it's too damn bright
Being awake at night rather than the day
Candles etc
Reading gothic poetry when my PhD reading permits

Oh and snakebite :lol:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:25 pm
Dis

I have to say that I think at times I embrace a few too many of gothic cliches. For instance, I'm sitting at a table that has a black life size skull candle, two tall tarnished silver candle holder(need to put new candles in them) am drinking black tea from a halloween mug and wearing all black(yeah for my Cure girlie t).

Here's some more cliches.

*black hair(also some purple and dark red)
*90% black wardrobe
*more boots than shoes(all are black as well)
*gargoyles and mini tombstones make up the decor accents
*victorian furniture, all dark stained
*candles everywhere
*have a bouquet of silk black roses
*black curtains and drapery
*black cat(who's named Anubis)
*have perfumed oils named things like nosferatu, decent, wake the dead, etc
*have a crocheted spiderweb with large black and purple spiders hanging on the living room wall
*black dishes
*requested graveyard picnic for my birthday dinner
*autumn favourite time of year
*halloween is my favourite holiday
*own and use regularly spf 100 sunblock

I am but a walking cliche of the gothic culture it seems:( Oh well, I'll have fun while I'm at it.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:25 pm
Maladomini

CallaWolf Dreary, cold, overcast days are the best! :lol:

What cliches do I have? uhhh

I listen to the The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and Sisters of Mercy nonstop
Black
I am obssesed with black cats (haha, so cheesy, I know. And I don't even own one)
I watch Nightmare Before Christmas over and over again on Christmas
I write dark poetry/stories
I love monster-realted things (Vampires, werewolves, skeletons...pretty much everything except zombies. Yuck)
I stay up all night
I prefer night to day sooo much more

That's not too many, I don't think.

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 pm
Maladomini

yeah, those days are the best. The gray sky, cool wet air, those are the days I long for during the summer and never want to leave during the late fall, winter, early spring times.

itty, I'm the same with Sisters and Siouxsie as you, not so much about the Cure though. I like 'em, but not as much as some people.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Maladomini

Riena wrote:
After a lot of random thinking(a terrible habit) while eating my lunch, I just thought of a cliche that annoys me yet I unintentionally enforce: The idea that a person can only be goth if they had a bad childhood since clearly no well adjusted person could ever think of being one. :roll: Unfortunately, I did have a bad childhood and I now watch who I mention this to because of a couple of bad experiences where people were quick to use that against me (and also because it's painful to talk about). I admit that goth helped me cope, but so did a lot of other things like reading, anime, video games etc.

In our society it has nearly become Politically Correct to blame any act, no matter how heinous, on a "bad childhood". But the truth is that most people who had a bad childhood do not turn into criminals; and many people who had loving childhoods grew up to be sociopathic monsters. And just because you had a bad childhood does not automatically mean that you will treat your kids the same way, but many pop sociologists have a simplistic, Pavlovian view of behavior.
Any group of people will have maladjusted people, but those who are critical of the Goth culture concentrate on these to the exclusion of those who don't fit their profile. There is also a double standard. Some of the most whacked out people I've ever known were high school or college athletes, and their actions were tacitly overlooked because of their sports performance.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Maladomini

Calla: their bigger hits (like Boys Don't Cry and Friday I'm in Love) are okay, but I'm definitely drawn to their older, darker stuff a lot more. (Sorry, that was completely off topic!)

Oh, and I forgot to add that Halloween is my favorite holiday on my list.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:02 pm
Phlegethos

A big goth cliche is Edgar Allen Poe, he is a good cliche though... another cliche is Manson who isn't really goth anyway :p

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:45 am
Stygia

i love to particapate in the goth cliche ( most not all, the ones like being a satanist and things like that but i think thats more stereotype than cliche but oh well). people always snicker at me because i like bands like The Cure and Bauhaus. every time i say one of my favorite bands is The Cure someone always say "of course" and i always say somthing like "well judging from the way im dressed, do you expect me to like bands like the Jonas Brothers and pop music" i mean seriously people come on (but im saying that just becasue a person is goth that doesnt mean they cant like the Jonas Brothers and pop music )
ANYWAY...
some cliches i like to do are:
- i wear black all the time
-i love anything related to vampires
-i always rade the halloween section at Target, Wallmart etc. after halloween (thats when everything goes on sale :mrgreen: )
-i almost never have my curtains open
-i have black curtains
-i love anything with bats, spiders, spiderwebs etc. on them
-i always carry a black umbrella with me (cant forget about the sunscreemn :P)
-i like to take strolls in the cemetary
-i buy anything with skulls on them

there are alot more but i dont want to go on and on :P

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:53 pm
Dis

I think cliche's (real goth cliches and not misconceptions) can be fun. It's even more fun when you can pick them out in yourself and have a laugh. Which I feel is what makes Goth so great! It was never about being uber serious about everything we do.

Some of my cliches are:

* I absolutely LOVE the Nightmare Before Christmas and almost anything Tim Burton does.
* I love stripes, velvet, and lace (all in black of course). I looked at my closet the other day and laughed at how many velvet dresses and tops I had.
* Cold cloudy rainy days are the best. I prefer them over sunny days anytime.
* Edgar Allen Poe, Lord Byron, Charles Baudelaire, and Sylvia Plath are my favorite poets. Forget, chicken soup for the soul! Only brooding introspective poetry for me! XD
* I love the classic horror from Universal (i.e. Bela Lugosi) and Hammer. So much that I refuse to watch any horror films past the 1970's (besides a few exceptions).
* I love anything with bats on them!
* I can be incredibly dramatic at times. *staples hand to forehead*
* Coffee. There's nothing else to be said.
* I love Vampires! Not this horrible new itteration of glittery vampires who don't drink blood. But, the good old school one's as found in books by Anne Rice, Kim Newman, and Poppy Z. Brite (who are my favorite authors).
* The new stuff is nice too. But, I absolutely LOVE the old school dark glangly guitars smothered in reverb, tribal rhythms, deep persistant basslines, and dramatic vocals.
* Pointy boots. 'Nuff said.

Azrael Abyss and Circe Nightshade got nothing on me! LOL! ;)

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 am
GAF

porcelain_bones wrote:
I think cliche's (real goth cliches and not misconceptions) can be fun. It's even more fun when you can pick them out in yourself and have a laugh. Which I feel is what makes Goth so great! It was never about being uber serious about everything we do.

Some of my cliches are:

* I absolutely LOVE the Nightmare Before Christmas and almost anything Tim Burton does.
* I love stripes, velvet, and lace (all in black of course). I looked at my closet the other day and laughed at how many velvet dresses and tops I had.
* Cold cloudy rainy days are the best. I prefer them over sunny days anytime.
* Edgar Allen Poe, Lord Byron, Charles Baudelaire, and Sylvia Plath are my favorite poets. Forget, chicken soup for the soul! Only brooding introspective poetry for me! XD
* I love the classic horror from Universal (i.e. Bela Lugosi) and Hammer. So much that I refuse to watch any horror films past the 1970's (besides a few exceptions).
* I love anything with bats on them!
* I can be incredibly dramatic at times. *staples hand to forehead*
* Coffee. There's nothing else to be said.
* I love Vampires! Not this horrible new itteration of glittery vampires who don't drink blood. But, the good old school one's as found in books by Anne Rice, Kim Newman, and Poppy Z. Brite (who are my favorite authors).
* The new stuff is nice too. But, I absolutely LOVE the old school dark glangly guitars smothered in reverb, tribal rhythms, deep persistant basslines, and dramatic vocals.
* Pointy boots. 'Nuff said.

Azrael Abyss and Circe Nightshade got nothing on me! LOL! ;)

I think I like you! ^_^

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:44 pm
Profile YIM
Dis

*I'm always dressed up
*i'm always wearing my onyx silver ring
*i'm always wearing my cross pendant and my leather necklace
*i'm always wearing my black all star
*i'm always listening to bauhaus / sisters of mercy / joy division / him / nine inch nails
*i'm always me hahahahhaha

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:02 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next