View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 13-letter Names 
Administrator

Post 13-letter Names
While considering another discussion (in which deceptively "light" things might have a darker reality), I got to thinking about seemingly innocuous names (such as Emma Wuthering) that could be taken to have a darker, more chilling side to them – simply due to such names consisting of 13 letters.

13 is a powerful number in superstition and folklore. And also in literature: The term "tridecalogism" (meaning "13-letter word") was coined by author Scott Westerfeld for his Midnighters trilogy. (13-letter words were required in the novels as names for weapons that could be used effectively as a defense against dark, primeval forces.)

There seems to be a lot of folklore surrounding people with 13-letter names. In the music world, there is a superstition among violinists that a virtuoso (such as Jascha Heifetz, Fritz Kreisler, Yehudi Menuhin, David Oistrakh) must have a 13-letter name. The superstition is apparently so prevalent, that a violinist named Eric Friedman changed his first name to Erick so that he would have the required 13-letter name.

I'm not a violinist, but I do have a 13-letter name. How many of you here at Goth.net also have 13-letter names?

If you don't have a 13-letter name, I've a compulsion to give you one through the art of anagramming. If you like, just give me a scramble (for privacy) of your name, with added or deleted letters to equal 13, and I'll see what I can come up with for you. You choose your letters, but make sure that you give me just 13 of them.

And, while you're at it, if you know of other superstitions or folklore associated with 13-letter names, I'd be interested to hear!

-- Nephele

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:44 am
Manisha

Post Re: 13-letter Names
Manisha Blacke (taken from the goddess thread)

I remember hearing a story once of a man who was burned at the stake on Friday the thirteenth. Before he died, he cursed his killers and swore they would all die before the year was out- and sure enough they all did. I'll look around for that lore and see if I can find it anywhere.

However this is from Wiki that I thought was interesting:

Wiki wrote:
The actual origin of the superstition, though, appears also to be a tale in Norse mythology. Friday is named for Frigga, the free-spirited goddess of love and fertility. When Norse and Germanic tribes converted to Christianity, Frigga was banished in shame to a mountaintop and labeled a witch. It was believed that every Friday, the spiteful goddess convened a meeting with eleven other witches, plus the devil — a gathering of thirteen — and plotted ill turns of fate for the coming week. For many centuries in Scandinavia, Friday was known as "Witches' Sabbath.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator

Midieval Fantasy wrote:
Manisha Blacke (taken from the goddess thread)

Ah, that's a good 13-letter name! Have a more deceptively innocent-looking one. :mrgreen:

Michaela Banks
(anagram of "Manisha Blacke")

Interesting story you found, for the origin of 13-member covens. I'd heard that one before, too.

-- Nephele

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:32 am
Nessus

Not including my middle name, my name consists of 13 letters...funny as 13 has always been my "lucky number" and I never even noticed this phenomenon.

Thanks for the interesting lore!

~spidey

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:29 am
Administrator

I wonder whether it's coincidence or deliberate that the High Priestess (Peggy Nadramia) and High Priest (Peter H. Gilmore) of the Church of Satan both have 13-letter names?

Spidey, have another 13-letter name -- with a Middle Ages witchy sound to it:

Hetty Pidgeons
(anagram of "Goth.net Spidey")

-- Nephele

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:07 am
Dr. Strangeduck

siarikolalspn

I wonder if I should have picked a different two letters? Well, let's see what this gives me...

Starting a new life with Letalis Senium <3<3<3

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:57 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator

harpy wrote:
siarikolalspn

I wonder if I should have picked a different two letters? Well, let's see what this gives me...

Harpy, it gives you the deceptively innocent (and absolutely dark) name of...

Larissa Koplin
= siarikolalspn

-- Nephele

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:13 pm
Dr. Strangeduck

Oh, I'm almost a Kaplan! Thanks!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator

harpy wrote:

Well, your 13-letter name makes you more beastly than priestly. ;)

-- Nephele

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:49 pm
Cocky Canard

Nephele wrote:
harpy wrote:

Well, your 13-letter name makes you more beastly than priestly. ;)

-- Nephele

...or "Kapla!"

Jereth Magas, Gothsylvania Minister of Unnatural Resources.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Letalis Senium wrote:
...or "Kapla!"

LOL! Elite Klingon!

-- Nephele

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:22 pm
Dr. Strangeduck

Gowron rules! :mrgreen:

-- Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:00 pm --

Nephele wrote:
There seems to be a lot of folklore surrounding people with 13-letter names. In the music world, there is a superstition among violinists that a virtuoso (such as Jascha Heifetz, Fritz Kreisler, Yehudi Menuhin, David Oistrakh) must have a 13-letter name. The superstition is apparently so prevalent, that a violinist named Eric Friedman changed his first name to Erick so that he would have the required 13-letter name.

I'm not a violinist, but I do have a 13-letter name. How many of you here at Goth.net also have 13-letter names?

I used to be a violinist, but just wasn't good enough (my technique was not the best, and stage fright made my bow arm shake uncontrollably at auditions). So those two extra letters are to blame! :(

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:52 pm
Profile YIM
harpy wrote:
Gowron rules! :mrgreen:

But only until the House of Duras gets revenge. :twisted:

And, I'm a bit shocked. None of the combinations of letters in my first, middle or surname give me a total of 13... :(

Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:43 am
Administrator

Minnie, perhaps reducing your first name to a diminutive will produce the 13-letter effect? In any case, I'll just take 13 letters from your name and anagram you a witchy name from that:

Lavender Broom
(anagram of "moonrver blade")

-- Nephele

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:51 am
*HUG* @Nephele...

Thank you, darling - that is so wonderful! I would have hated to miss out on one of your wonderful 'gram threads! :D

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:55 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next