View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:40 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 gothic Charm School 
Malbolge

Post Re: gothic Charm School
I actually found that book to be pretty...fluffy. Sorry. I own it and there are parts that are great, but it's.....fluff. And doesn't really contain anything you can't find in any other Wicca/Paganism 101 books... *end negative comment*

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:53 pm
Malbolge

With you on that sentiment, Crow.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:34 am
Administrator

I haven't read her book, but from what I've seen of her videos on YouTube I think she's a positive force for gothdom. And, in respect of that, I must honor her with a couple of dark aliases anagrammed from her name:

Jill Ravenstein
Jillienne Svart

= Jillian Venters

Svart: Norwegian and Swedish, meaning "black."

-- Nephele

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:36 am
GAF

laughingcrow wrote:
I actually found that book to be pretty...fluffy. Sorry. I own it and there are parts that are great, but it's.....fluff. And doesn't really contain anything you can't find in any other Wicca/Paganism 101 books... *end negative comment*

The 'Goth Craft' one? I've never known another Goth IRL who needed help blending their religion and lifestyle.

I do think Ms Venter is a positive force out there for us, but it's just the same stuff the last few years. I've noticed that with magazines like Cosmo & Glamour, though. They claim to have 'hot new tips to sizzle in bed' or something. It's always the same stuff rehashed from the previous year or season. Hence why I no longer subscribe to magazines.

It is good to have someone out there who is enlightening the masses about us, however repetitive, though.

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:45 am
Profile YIM
Cania

Well I found the book very helpful. It wasn't just the content but the way it was written. I generally find books on paganism a bit hard to read...a bit waffly and not broken down enough. When I'm reading something informative, I like it to be slightly less waffly. Not to mention the book actually came in handy during my "spiritual" crisis a while back. May sound dumb but the stuff in that book was far more useful than the "good book" the Christian hotline wanted me to read <.<

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:45 pm
Manisha

Blackavar wrote:
Well I found the book very helpful. It wasn't just the content but the way it was written. I generally find books on paganism a bit hard to read...a bit waffly and not broken down enough. When I'm reading something informative, I like it to be slightly less waffly. Not to mention the book actually came in handy during my "spiritual" crisis a while back. May sound dumb but the stuff in that book was far more useful than the "good book" the Christian hotline wanted me to read <.<

Hell I found the book interesting if nothing else. I tend to avoid books like this, but a person who read the book thought it meant that Goth was a religion which caused me to read it to know what the hell the person was talking about. Raven himself tends to be a pretty cool guy and is close friends with Anna Varney, from what I can tell. I thought it to be enjoyable and it actually did make me consider a few things that I had not before which was fun. Overall I like it.

On The Lady of Manners, like Nephele I only know of her from what I've seen on youtube and she seems decent. I'm inclined to like her.

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

I'm probably the farthest thing from a goth that there is, but I still enjoyed watching all of the vids on youtube related to her. I have a lot of respect for Jillian Venters.

Facebook

Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

I'm really glad that the book was helpful to you Blackaver! Maybe it's just because I'm a fam trad and a practicing pagan for the last decade or so, so it seemed fairly typical to me. I did love his suggestions about working magic into eyeliner designs lol. There are good things to be found in pretty much every book. ^_^ I would just say, as I tend to do when I'm teaching pagan-y things, read lots of stuff and never trust one book 100%, and always read more. I don't think it sounds dumb at all. ;)

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:26 pm
Manisha

laughingcrow wrote:
I'm really glad that the book was helpful to you Blackaver! Maybe it's just because I'm a fam trad and a practicing pagan for the last decade or so, so it seemed fairly typical to me. I did love his suggestions about working magic into eyeliner designs lol. There are good things to be found in pretty much every book. ^_^ I would just say, as I tend to do when I'm teaching pagan-y things, read lots of stuff and never trust one book 100%, and always read more. I don't think it sounds dumb at all. ;)

Very, very true!

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Malbolge

I became interested in learning more about the Goth subculture when I started dating my current girlfriend who is a goth; so I stumbled on the lady's website. She gave me some interesting insight on what being a Goth is all about and piqued my curiosity even more; which brings me here. Sometimes I go to her site just for the enjoyment. A lot of good reading can be found there.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:37 pm
Stygia

What's the name of the opening to her youtube videos?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:04 am
Administrator

I thought I'd draw everyone's attention to a new item at the website of The Lady of Manners. She's added an article on a subject that concerns us all (her first lesson of 2011): Bullying.

"Of Dealing with Bullies"

As is all of her stuff, this is well worth a read, including the comments section.

There's just one thing that I would add (if I might be so presumptuous as to even suggest adding to anything written by the most gracious Lady of Manners):

The Lady of Manners wrote:
Thing The Fourth: Violence. Sometimes (and oh, how the Lady of the Manners wishes it was a rare exception), bullying becomes physically violent. Which is assault, Snarklings. No matter how “mild” it may seem. Pushing, hair-pulling, knocking books out of someone’s arms? That is all assault, and is not to be tolerated...

Actually, in many cases you don't have to wait until someone physically lays hands on you to call it "assault." At least, in legal terms, "assault" can be the mere unlawful threat to do someone bodily harm. Once someone physically lays hands on you, then that is termed "battery." (Reference: ExpertLaw.com)

But that's really all just legalese. The word "assault," as the Lady of Manners used it, works too.

My point for bringing this up is this: If all school administrators were to accept that "assault" entails threatening behavior towards others, and not just physical harm, then there might be a clearer understanding in these schools as to what it takes to cross the line into bullying behavior. From what I'm hearing these days, it seems that a lot of schools don't do a whole lot until someone actually gets physically hurt.

And I agree with the Lady of Manners that assault is not to be tolerated.

-- Nephele

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:36 pm
Dr. Strangeduck

All - keep a good thought for the Lady of the Manners - I just read on FB that her mother is very ill and in the ICU. :(

Starting a new life with Letalis Senium <3<3<3

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:38 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator

harpy wrote:
All - keep a good thought for the Lady of the Manners - I just read on FB that her mother is very ill and in the ICU. :(

Yikes. Thanks for that information, harpy. Sending positive thoughts out to the Lady's mom.

-- Nephele

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:40 pm
GAF

harpy wrote:

Terrible news! :( I hope she gets better.

I'm on the quest for immortality here people! Down with death!! ~ Carpi

In America, law violates you! ~ Arq

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:27 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next