View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Search for:
 [ 2146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 144  Next
 Who's Reading What? 
Nessus

I finished Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS last night (finally) after I've been slowly reading through it for weeks. I highly recommend this book, it's very good. There's so much going on at the same time, so many threads being woven together and it all works so well.

Today I was fortunate enough to receive my limited edition of Caitlín R. Kiernan's IN THE GARDEN OF POISONOUS FLOWERS, which is kind of a prequel to her novel THRESHOLD. Illustrated by Dame Darcy this is just such a gorgeous little book.

Must read now!

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Cania

I finished Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS last night (finally) after I've been slowly reading through it for weeks. I highly recommend this book, it's very good. There's so much going on at the same time, so many threads being woven together and it all works so well.

I am not familiar at all with Gaiman's 'American Gods.' Is it his latest work? I don't keep up at all with Neil's works. A bit more details would be appreciated!

Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:04 am
Nessus

Lilith wrote:

I am not familiar at all with Gaiman's 'American Gods.' Is it his latest work? I don't keep up at all with Neil's works. A bit more details would be appreciated!

Well, it's his most recent if you count novels for adults. It was released in mass market paperback a while back so should be pretty easy to find.

His most recent was released last month, CORALINE, which is supposedly a kids' book. Kids seem to love it, and it seems to creep adults out. So it is for all ages. A kind of ALICE IN WONDERLAND feel to it, from what I've heard. It's on my "to get" list.

AMERICAN GODS is mainly about the old gods in the new country. The gods that were brought here when their believers emigrated to the US centuries ago. Now they've become mainly forgotten gods as their believers have died and the new generations have discarded the beliefs of the old country. The new 'gods' are on the rise... media, internet, television... and a showdown is on the way.

It might sound a bit odd when condensed like that, and I suck at describing books in short synopses, but it's really very good and also very entertaining. Because it's also unlike any story I've read, it keeps you wondering.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Cania

Thanks Lilith! It sounds like a wonderful piece. I might have to check it out! I am always a sucker for a story that keeps me on my feet!

Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:24 pm
Nessus

Thanks Lilith! It sounds like a wonderful piece. I might have to check it out! I am always a sucker for a story that keeps me on my feet!

Aside from the gods, there's also a main protagonist, Shadow, who we follow throughout the book. He gets released from jail 3 days early because his wife died in an accident (not a spoiler, you find this out within pages, and on the back of the book) and his life just spirals into weirdness as he gets caught up in the gods thing.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

In the ever changing line up of 'currently reading' ... I'm currently slowly picking my way through 2 anthologies at the moment: Darkside: Horror for the Next Millenium, edited by John Pelan, which includes stories by Elizabeth Massie, Lucy Taylor, Nancy A. Collins, Thomas Ligotti, Caitlín R. Kiernan and many others, and also Sandman: Book of Dreams, edited by Neil Gaiman and Ed Kramer, which includes stories based on the Sandman comics by Caitlín R. Kiernan, Nancy A. Collins, Laurence Schimel, an illustration by Clive Barker and an afterword by Tori Amos.

I finished reading Caitlín R. Kiernan's In The Garden of Poisonous Flowers the other day, and also Neil Gaiman's Sandman: The Dream Hunters. Next up novel wise is probably Kathe Koja's Strange Angels.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

<----Currently on a break from anne rice, poe, stoker, chomsky. Reading "Road to Nirvana" ( I think it was called "Road to Hell" in America) cant remember the author, I find it interesting because it isnt REALLY about Nirvana, it dedicates more space to bands I actually like : Fugazi, Smashing Pumpkins, REM, Pixies etc rather than cobain.

David Bowie - All the Madmen
lastfm

Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Stygia

Stardust, Neil Gaiman
Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman (excellent book)
Kushiel's Dart, Jacqueline Carey
The Infinite, Douglass Clegg.

All of them have been awesome, I must say. :D

I pull my veins through my arms like severed wires, wrapping each memory around my neck to hang myself. i have numbed the will to follow you. i no longer care for you. i no longer long for you. your voice screaming in my head. i'm dying in the quiet secrets and the sickest bliss-WM3rock.com

Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:00 pm
Nessus

"Drawing Blood" by Poppy Z. Brite. I haven't read anything by her before, so this should be interesting. It came with a good recommendation from my boyfriend.

pink versus black - black versus magenta
this picture of you - just melts in my agenda

Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

I'm currently reading The Templar Revelation by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince. Though it's on a subject that goes completely against my upbringing, and a lot of my beliefs, it's very interesting reading.

Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:16 pm
Profile ICQ
Nessus

I'm re-reading Something's Alive on the Titanic for about the 8th time. Its by Robert Serling, and I think its great.
I picked it up at a thrift shop for $1, if you can find it I would really suggest reading it.

If you are interested the ISBN is 0-312-05159-X.

Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:26 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Nessus

I'm re-reading Something's Alive on the Titanic for about the 8th time. Its by Robert Serling, and I think its great.

What's it about?

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:34 am
Profile WWW
Nessus

"Drawing Blood" by Poppy Z. Brite. I haven't read anything by her before, so this should be interesting. It came with a good recommendation from my boyfriend.

Drawing Blood is one of my favourite Poppy novels. I prefer it over Lost Souls, which is her first novel and her only vampire novel.

I recommend all her work really, she has a bunch of stuff out in mainstream press like Drawing Blood, Lost Souls, Wormwood (aka Swamp Foetus), Exquisite Corpse, The Lazarus Heart, Are You Loathsome Tonight? (aka Self-Made Man), and also numerous books out through small press only, most of which I own also.

In her later works she's veering away more and more from "horror". It's an interesting progression, one that I don't mind, but then I'm not one of the people that's necessarily waiting for another vampire novel ;)

If you want to read something very different, try Exquisite Corpse. Not for the faint of heart really, and I wouldn't recommend eating anything while reading it ;)

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Malbolge

I'm reading the "Sword of Truth" novels by Terry Goodkind right now... and may I recommend "Anthem" by Ayn Rand and also "The New Left: Anti-Industrialist Revolution" by Ayn Rand... I just finished "The New Left" and it was a great great book... haha... thanks all...

...FS...

Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:12 am
Nessus

Mesmerise wrote:

What's it about?

Lilith

Oh yeah what it is about.....

(Its fictional by the way.)

Its about an expedition in the 70's that located the Titanic, which supposedly has a large amount of gold bullion within its cargo hold 3. The expedition goes horribly wrong and seems to be jinxed. The Titanic appears to have a supernatural force guarding it.

There is then a expedition in 1993 to retrace the steps of the first expedition in the 70's to recover the bullion, and encounters the force that is guarding the world's most famous ship.

Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:37 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 144  Next