View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:54 pm

Search for:
 [ 2150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 144  Next
 Who's Reading What? 
Administrator

Im reading Che Guevara's : Bolivian Diarys
And sitting on a shelf for me to read next is No Logo (for the 12th time)

David Bowie - All the Madmen
lastfm

Fri May 03, 2002 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Nessus

Im reading Che Guevara's : Bolivian Diarys
And sitting on a shelf for me to read next is No Logo (for the 12th time)

No Logo? 'splain Lucy!

I (finally) finished GOOD OMENS last night. Not that I'm a slow reader, but I've not had all that much time to read. I enjoyed it a lot, though not in the "laugh out loud" "uproarishly funny" way that the jacket proclaims, but it was a funny twist on things.

And I read the first chapter of Kim Wilkins' FIREHEART before crawling off to bed at 8am. Kim Wilkins is an Aussie author, so you aussies/kiwis should be able to find her work around. For you UK dwellers: some of her stuff is also availible in the UK and her latest novel should be printed there in August according to Amazon. Some of her books are also availible through Amazon.com for the US dwellers. FIREHEART is more of a young adult book, but I enjoy her writing so it's fun to read.

I should finish this one very soon really as it's not that thick and has that young adult larger typeset :)

And then I have to decide what to read next... one of the Freda Warrington books I still haven't read, one of the Kathe Koja books I've got waiting or any number of other unread books I've been amassing.

I'm also slowly picking my way through 2 different short story collections as well. I never read those very quickly as I like time between stories rather than reading one straight after the other.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Sat May 18, 2002 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

http://books.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4061251,00.html

lastfm

Sun May 19, 2002 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Malbolge

The last thing I was able to finish reading was "Life in a Medieval Castle". There was a fair amount of interesting stuff in there. I'm currently trying to hack through "The Age of Enligtenment" and it's not easy, or terribly fun. I think I'll take a vaction and go back to "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" which is old and tattered and my bible. I don't travel without it.

I also want to get the "Wizard of Earthsea" set by Ursula K. LeGuin because I like it a lot.

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" was mentioned by Numen and I highly reccomend it. I read it in a bar in one sitting while they were playing some rather dark Drum'n'Bass, and I highly reccommend the experience (if you can dig DnB,that is).

I think I'm going to buy "The Stranger" (Camus) or "East of Eden" (Steinbeck?) next. I wish I could find my freaking ABC 10% discount card... #(

Mon May 20, 2002 9:18 am
Profile ICQ
Nessus

I actually finished FIREHEART the next day, so I'm now a chapter or two into DARKER THAN THE STORM by Freda Warrington.

Wheee...

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Mon May 20, 2002 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Malbolge

I enjoyed Good Omens , although it seemed to me to be more Pratchet(?) then Gaiman(?), but then i havent read enough Gaiman(?) to recognise his style.

at least one of the good guys scored this time hehe :D

Deviant - needs to pay more attention to authors names.

"..And isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all of you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh oooh oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick

Wed May 22, 2002 3:00 am
Nessus

I enjoyed Good Omens , although it seemed to me to be more Pratchet(?) then Gaiman(?), but then i havent read enough Gaiman(?) to recognise his style.

I've never read any Pratchett, only Gaiman, so I'm not sure if I can really answer that question properly either. I did feel as though it leaned more to Pratchett though.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Wed May 22, 2002 3:06 am
Profile WWW
Phlegethos

basically i only read when i get my ass off the computer - isn't that just sad? :P

Currently reading James Clavell's "Tai-Pan" (chinese), and just finished reading his other book "Shogun" (japanese). Finished my Anne Rice books, Stephen King books, etc. Perhaps I should buy some more..

Wed May 22, 2002 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Maladomini

You know, I'm *always* on the look out for other Phillip K Dick books ... but I never find them. I should just order them online ... :?

Gee! What a Schmuck!

Wed May 22, 2002 9:34 am
Profile YIM
Maladomini

"The Game of Life" by Timothy Leary

and I'm also currently rereading:

"Science and Sanity: an introduction to non-aristotelian systems and general semantics" by Alfred Korzybski

Gee! What a Schmuck!

Wed May 22, 2002 9:37 am
Profile YIM
Nessus

I'm currently spending most of my reading time on Kaplan: LSAT. Aim for my head.

For recreation, I'm reading Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October. It's not high literature, certainly not gothic, and I don't even agree with Clancy's politics, but his books sure are fun. (though I'm closer to them than Che Guevara or No Logo).

Wed May 22, 2002 10:32 pm
Well I'm currently reading The Lucifer Principle by Harold Bloom, which basically argues that what we call "evil" is biologically wired into us. It's not exactly cheering stuff, though quite interesting so far.

Sat May 25, 2002 5:45 am
Administrator

I don't even agree with Clancy's politics, but his books sure are fun. (though I'm closer to them than Che Guevara or No Logo

Ah well, to each there own :)
Even if you arent that way minded politically, I think No Logo is a facinating book, not exactly a novel, but an interesting read.

But what i wanted to say really was, someone elses post here reminded me, that if you can find the right album to listen to while reading novels it can greatly enhance the experience.......well it does for me anyway.
I read the entire vampire chronicles listening to Massive Attacks Mezzaine, it couldnt have been a more perfect match!
And i read the mayfair series to Lamb......which didnt work so well, but still ok.

lastfm

Tue May 28, 2002 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Nessus

But what i wanted to say really was, someone elses post here reminded me, that if you can find the right album to listen to while reading novels it can greatly enhance the experience.......well it does for me anyway.
I read the entire vampire chronicles listening to Massive Attacks Mezzaine, it couldnt have been a more perfect match!
And i read the mayfair series to Lamb......which didnt work so well, but still ok.

I usually need it to be quiet when I read. When I'm home anyway. I've become amazed at how well I can block out nearly everything that goes on when I'm reading and on the move though (public transport etc.).

You have to carefully select music if you do listen to it when reading as sometimes I get the feeling that it colours your perceptions of what you read in ways other than the author would like you, and so detract from the book rather than add to it.

So usually it's quiet when I read, or else I get too distracted.

Lilith - who finished one book and read another 2 in the GOTH.NET downtime.

SarChasm  (n.)

Thu May 30, 2002 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Malbolge

[I]f you can find the right album to listen to while reading novels it can greatly enhance the experience.

That was what I found when I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" in a bar where they were playing very dark drum'n'bass. Well worth it if you can get it right.

I was searching for something to read the other night and found Baudelaire's "Les Fleurs du Mal" that I bought while in France a while ago. It would be really hard to put into writing how good it is. Absolutely wonderful. If you can read French, I highly reccomend reading him in his native language.

I've included two links to the first poem in "Les Fleurs du Mal", the first in French, the second a translation to English.

Au Lecteur

To The Reader

Thu May 30, 2002 10:30 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 2150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 144  Next