View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 am

Search for:
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Potter Ponderings 
Administrator

Post Potter Ponderings
Having watched (and enjoyed) all the Harry Potter movies, I figured it was about time I finally got down to reading the actual books. I had started the first book some years ago, but was put off by J.K. Rowling's style of writing.

This time, when I tried HP and the Sorcerer's Stone again, it seemed to me that Rowling's style got more tolerable after the first few chapters of the book. Or maybe I just got used to it. Now I have to admit that I'm really enjoying these books.

I'm part-way through HP and the Goblet of Fire right now, but I've got a few burning questions about some things that aren't making a lot of sense to me. I was wondering whether we have any Potterheads here who can answer these questions for me:

1. Why are the Weasleys so poor when wizards can conjure up whatever they need?

2. On the Hogwarts Express, and at Hogwarts, the students are always feasting on candy and cakes, yet they don't get fat. Are wizards immune to the effects of over-eating?

3. After Dobby became a free elf, he still wore the grubby pillowcase that was a sign of his servitude when he belonged to the Malfoys (at least, in the movies he did. I'm not up to that part in the books yet). How come Dobby didn't start wearing proper clothes after Harry Potter freed him?

4. Wouldn't riding a broomstick hurt Harry Potter's crotch?

Any and all answers serving to enlighten will be greatly appreciated!

-- Nephele

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:59 pm
Stygia

Post Re: Potter Ponderings
I liked the first 5 books a lot but got bored and never read the last book. Overall it's the teen angst that I find boring, maybe if I had not been 19 when I started reading them and had never really before read books aimed at a younger age group, vs your normal fantasy books :?

1. No idea other than there is a pecking order in the wizard word and they are not high up on it… meaning… no idea…
2. If I was a wizard and and was making candy for children I would through the power of magic make it so it tasted like candy but was about as healthy for you as eating TONS all those veggies kids hate :wink:
3. He does so in the books, continue reading.
4. Maybe he likes it that way.

:wink:

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Potter Ponderings
Noise! wrote:
I liked the first 5 books a lot but got bored and never read the last book. Overall it's the teen angst that I find boring, maybe if I had not been 19 when I started reading them and had never really before read books aimed at a younger age group, vs your normal fantasy books :?

There are actually a lot of fantasy authors I enjoy who write for young adults. I'll read anything by Scott Westerfeld, for one example of a really great young adult fantasy writer. But I know what you mean about the "teen angst" stuff. I find that boring, too.

Thanks for your answers to my questions:

Quote:
1. No idea other than there is a pecking order in the wizard word and they are not high up on it… meaning… no idea…

It's all too baffling. I mean, the Weasley dad works for the Ministry of Magic, so you'd think he'd be an experienced enough wizard to conjure up whatever the family needed. But instead he's always sending his kids off to Hogwarts dressed in hand-me-down wizards' robes and with cheaply bought, second-hand magic textbooks. It... makes... NO... freaking... sense!

Quote:
2. If I was a wizard and and was making candy for children I would through the power of magic make it so it tasted like candy but was about as healthy for you as eating TONS all those veggies kids hate

Okay, that's a good explanation. It's perfectly logical that wizard candy would be different from muggle candy.

Quote:
3. He does so in the books, continue reading.

Ah!

Quote:
4. Maybe he likes it that way.

LOL!

-- Nephele

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]