View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Search for:
 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 umm.... - I was thinking... 
Maladomini

I don't think there's many,if any,goths in south america. I mean,the culture itself is pretty strict and people are lucky if they even get to listen to something that isn't in spansih. Just my thoughts.

Edited By Unimportant Character on June 02 2002 at 23:58

"Here I am,living up to my name at this very moment."

-Me in a IRC chat

Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Nessus

I don't think there's many,if any,goths in south america. I mean,the culture itself is pretty strict and people are lucky if they even get to listen to something that isn't in spansih. Just my thoughts.

I guess Mexico doesn't really qualify as South America... but I know that Goth is hugely popular there.

And I have come across an online Goth site from Brazil once, linked in the Community section. Not speaking Portugese or Spanish makes searching for community pages for those regions slightly difficult, but there are sites out there dedicated to it, so I'll assume there is some form of Goth culture around down there.

One of the people that submits Art to GOTH.NET at times is from South America, not exactly sure where from at the moment, but she's latin American.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Maladomini

I guess you're right,must have based my opinoins on the Cuban population in South Florida. I get those screwed up,but I've heard the latin culture is all basically the same .

"Here I am,living up to my name at this very moment."

-Me in a IRC chat

Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Nessus

I guess you're right,must have based my opinoins on the Cuban population in South Florida. I get those screwed up,but I've heard the latin culture is all basically the same .

Well... I don't think that's really the kind of image that places like Rio de Janeiro have ... ;)

It's a pretty vast continent with many countries, mostly spanish and one portugese speaking... many remote areas but also large cities, so I guess it just depends where you are at any given time. I've noticed there's a Goth culture in most of the large cities across the world, mostly westernised ones though.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)
The gap that exists between the sarcastic person's wit, and the recipient who doesn't get it.

Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Here in mexico the culture is very closed and some one that thinks difrent is called a satanic so there are a few gothic in Mexico, also the music that people hear is only pop, there are a few persons that hear Goth (Including me).

Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:08 am
well....i live in Mexico(i'm not yet a goth,i'n just kinnda dark)
and the few music that can be clasified as good is the metal,the hip hop,rap and ska....but i don't know any group that uses gothic stile(i really don't have very good luck).
anyway the culture is really closed to new thing and that bad coz' there r a lot of cool thing.
and if u event dare to be a goth is the center (mostly)of the country u rick to be satanised!!

Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:54 pm
Malbolge

im half cuban...hehe.
well,i've seen on tv goths from south america too.not those stereotypical shows,by the way.

Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:30 am
Nessus

There's one band on the scene that's mexican if I'm not mistaken... Hocico (sp?). I've seen them mentioned around quite often too.

Lilith

SarChasm  (n.)

Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Malbolge

hmm...i've heard Hocico on an online radio.They're pretty good. :p

Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:34 am
Greetings, this is my first post in goth.net, and I want to say some things, well ,first,Lilith is right, Mexico is not in South America, it actually qualifies as North America, Guatemala and belize are ventral america among others and the rest is South America. And second, well here were I live we actually have somewhat of a Goth Culture, there is at least one Goth club I know about( I´m not old enough like to know a lot about clubs, so maybe there are more), and in my citie´s(Monterrey, Mexico) downtown lots of pseudogoths gather, I heard some stuff about a group of goth people that gathers here in my city to talk and discuss about literature, esoterism, and the likes, but I don´t really know much about it, I´m only 15 years old and I´m still getting into this stuff.

Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:19 pm
Malbolge

hmm...i've also heard there's a goth scene in mexico.welcome:)

Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:47 am
Here in mexico the culture is very closed and some one that thinks difrent is called a satanic so there are a few gothic in Mexico, also the music that people hear is only pop, there are a few persons that hear Goth (Including me).

Excuse me? A few gothic in Mexico? I guess you haven´t been to "El Chopo," near the revolution monument in the center of Mexico´s city. Go there on a saturday and you´ll find more goths and punks than you´ve ever seen. Also, i guess you didn´t go to the Therion concert last november. All the damn Metropolitan theatre was completely full with goths! I remember the line to get in was about half a kilometer long, and you could see a very long line of people dressed in black. Oh, and Dj gothic: How can you say you´re kinda dark and don´t even know a goth band, without mentioning you like ska and rap music? Eres un pendejo. =:)

Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:23 am
Malbolge

I saw goths in Mexico on t.v.There's a whole bunch! :D

Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:29 am
Avernus

HI there. It is a shame that Mexican goth scene is almost unknown for most of you. But the only ones to blame are those who are part of it. There are several artistic colectives in Mexico city related to several scenes:Punk, ska, reggae and of course goth. Two of the msot important are Binaria, an electr-dark colective which has its own record label (some of the first Hocico's works can be found there). And "La Orden del Cister". This last one gathers more than 70 independent painters, sculpturers, writers, musicians etc. that are or were related to the scene. Its main objective is to help these people to promote their work. La Orden has been working since 1995 organizing events such as festivals, readings , gigs, expos, etc. Nevertheless it took a short time out(sometimes it is hard to do something without logistic or monetary support) in order to re-structure itself. But now it is back in buissnes. There are many events that are going to take place this year. Among the most important of them these must be mentioned: The release of the record label; the publishing of a book that describes and explores the goth scene in Mexico and the annual interdisciplinary festival (interrupted for two years) "Alegoria" which is going to take place in three diferent cities, Mexico, Guanajuato and Guadalajara.
A net site is being constructed right now. Hopefully it will be finished by the second week od february but if you want more info about "La Orden" you can send an e-mail to riwes7@hotmail.com.

Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:51 pm
Avernus

It's a shame that we still have a very retro immage in the world. Hey guys, please stop thinking of Mexico as a country with horses walking on the streets and people wearing ranchero hats!
I think the Goth Mexico is not the same way it is happenning in the USA, per example, where most of the Goth people wear all paraphernalia available in Hot Topic.
I wonder about how many goth people in the US are just "Goths of pose" ...
Anyway, I think a lot of people in Mexico live their goth life in their own personal way. It is true that you cannot tell a goth guy so easily from the rest of the guys on the street... but it is a fact that this is something that exists not only in Mexico City or Guadalajara, but in several other cities... per example,
Tijuana, Mazatlan... just take a look at the last Clan of Xymox tour dates in Mexico... to have a hint... *)

Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:09 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next